Indian Food Recs Beverly Hills to Hollywood

ah, i was responding to the pic from may.

the masala dosa was very much not the thing to get in the days of old, however… maybe it’s improved.

Al Watan is Pakistani but all of the dishes would be recognizable as Indian dishes. The $11 lunch special is an incredible deal.
Veggie samosa was a little limp but well spiced
Great naan
The plate included lentils, chicken tandoori, veggie korma, kabob and chicken korma.

3 Likes

My experience is that Indian food restaurants in the Los Angeles area are very unimaginative with the same array of curry this and that, tandoori this and that, vindaloo this and that. I have gone to the homes of Indian friends for delicious and varied meals, so it is not that the food does not exist.
Restaurants just seem to assume that we want the same standard stuff all the time and give us the MacDonalds of Indian food. Of course the same can be said of many Mexican restaurants. Chinese restaurants seem to have learned that there is a big market for more than americanized Chinese food and we all don’t just eat chow mien and General Tso’s chicken!

1 Like

If you’re looking for variety maybe try venturing out to the little india area (on pioneer) in Artesia, I’m sure you’ll be able to experience the variety that you’re demanding.

oh wow… that’s the closest thing i’ve seen to what i grew up eating in Uzbekistan called lepeshka

The bread was delicious but it did not remind me of a traditional naan.

this is true but it is also probably based on the fact that the vast majority of american customers probably order the same tikka masala-saag paneer-dal makhni-channa masala-naan complex.

2 Likes

India Sweets House is a constant thing in my life for some years now. Their Chole Bature is fantastic and today i tried a luscious Shahi Paneer dish.

1 Like

Akbar in Chinatown is quite good, same people that closed down in Pasadena moved down.

1 Like

Outside the OP’s preferred area, Tumbi in Santa Monica is very good.

Oh, an Punjabi uber driver I had swears by Jaipur on Pico. Has anyone been?

1 Like

Solid, in my book. But I am a novice Indian cuisine eater.

I’ve been once thought it was decent but nothing to exceptional

1 Like

can’t get enough of India Sweet House

2 Likes

so pretty, it’s so pretty

India sweets house

i miss their parathas.

1 Like