It this the end of La Paella?

Armenians and Persians know all about soccarat hehe

2 Likes

Tahdig, yo.

2 Likes

My visit was looonng ago and I just don’t remember a socarrat option. I’m positive I would have ordered it if I saw it. I know I wasn’t served any socorrat.
I do remember my expectations were very high and I thought it was . . . like . . . okay I suppose.
Maybe I need a refresher, though!

Not according to this bunch. :wink:

Koreans and VN too

Chinese too.

3 Likes

I love that you just pop into a Jose Andres joint while shopping…I want to be you! Glad you are eating well!

2 Likes

I know! That’s one of the things I miss about Dish of the Month. I’m normally not a trekker like some Food Talkers, but DoTM made me do things out of the ordinary. :blush:

2 Likes

Did someone mention a backyard paella meetup?

We babysat while my cousins went to a friend’s birthday party. This was the appetizer. :slight_smile: “He’s a friend of friend. But I’m pretty sure he caters.” Experts? How does it look?

Did I mention the birthday boy is Argentinian?

He built the grill… it’s suspended and it rocks. I don’t know why but it does. They said the meat was “melt in your mouth”. Maybe we can bribe him to come do the meat. If not @Nemroz can handle it… Hehehe.

8 Likes

I’m no expert, but as a paella fan, I need to see the type of rice he’s using. As the sofrito hasn’t cooked down yet in this photo, I cannot tell.

2 Likes

ew mussels… i’m out :stuck_out_tongue:

cookie… i’ll meat it up any time

2 Likes

I’m not a big mussel fan either - unless they’re swimming in a delicious sauce I can dip crusty bread into. I’m sure if we find the right person we can tailor it. Which leads me to another question: what does everyone like in their paella?

1 Like

Chicken and rabbit

3 Likes

Y’all need a bartender?

3 Likes

Here is my version. Used bomba from Epicurus Gourmet along with lobster stock made from Bestia’s recipe. Cooked it on my Weber grill. Got excellent soccarrat, but I used too much stock so the rice was a little mushy. Seafood was perfect though.

7 Likes

Very nice. Clams, mussels, shrimp & lobster?

1 Like

While that looks really tasty and I would eat it, a paella aficionado would tell you that paella is all about the rice and the rice should be the star of the dish, not the other ingredients (ie. way too much fillers). A paella in valencia is typically 90% rice and 10% other stuff (maybe 85/15).

1 Like

Cooked on a grill?!? That’s cool…and something that I may need to try.

1 Like

Chicken thighs too. Kids were visiting.

1 Like

Nice

1 Like