It's All About the Stewed Lamb and Flavorful, Juicy Koobideh Skewers - Shamshiri Grill [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

8 Likes

Shamshiri is a classic. I’ve had many a wonderful meal there. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Next time try the sabzi polo, the baghali polo, and the zereshk polo (my personal favorite).

1 Like

Thanks @Bookwich. :slight_smile: Yah if you didn’t see my pic, I love the Baghali Polo there. :slight_smile: I’ll have to try the Zereshk Polo next time, thanks!

Estamboli polo (AKA lubia polo) at Shaherzad rules.

Addendum: Takeout estamboli polo from Shaherzad…

1 Like

Thanks for the rec @J_L. What else do you like there?

i’m thrilled that you liked it!!!

1 Like

Thanks for your great recommendations. :slight_smile: I can’t wait to go back and try other dishes soon.

Ghaimeh bademjan, and their piping hot, freshly baked naan.

1 Like

Note their lunch specials. I almost always order the lamb koobideh, which is one skewer rather than two at dinner, but comes with the bread, huge mound of rice, broiled tomato, onion wedge, and slice of pepper, and a choice of salad. A solid member of my lunch rotation for years.

Only problems there are the luck of parking and the unfair service, with the waitresses doing little beyond taking your order and the check, and the busboys running around doing everything else.

2 Likes

Thanks @nosh. Yes! Great note about their Lunch Specials, which allows you to get more than enough food at a big discount over the Dinner versions. :slight_smile:

Yes! So good and a really great deal! Especially with the baghali polo, which I agree is quite good. I have pooh poohed Shamshiri over the years, but have been eating my words the past few months. Many thanks to @nosh and @westsidegal for pushing me to give them another shot.

BTW, here is their house-baked bread with farmer’s market nectarines:

1 Like

makes me SO HAPPY to know that it worked out for you!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the pic, @J_L, now I’m getting hungry darn it! :smile:

Update:

With the additional recommendations from @Bookwich @J_L we decided to go back. :slight_smile:

Ash-E-Joe (Fresh Chopped Parsley, Scallions, Baby Dill, Cilantro, Cooked with Lentils, Barley & Pinto Beans, Persian style, Topped with Whey, Sautéed Mint & Caramelized Onions):

We remembered to ask them for the full condiments this time (something @westsidegal mentioned) served with Whey, Sauteed Mint and Caramelized Onions. This was as wonderful as before, but the Whey, Mint and Onions really added a wonderful creamy, but savory component.

Shirazi Salad (Diced Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Onions & Parsley with House Lemon & Extra Virgin Olive Oil Dressing):

As refreshing as before, cool, crunchy, herbal-y.

Khoresh-E-Bademjan (Pan Fried Eggplant Stewed in a Tomato Saffron Sauce, Topped with Fresh Sour Grapes + Stewed Lamb Shank (or Chicken)):

This was fantastic! The Pan Fried Eggplant was silky and soft, and when slow-cooked together with the Tomato Saffron Sauce and Sour Grapes, it created this pleasing Stew of tomatoey sweetness, but balanced by tart, fragrant and long-cooked flavors.

But the Stewed Lamb Shank, though, really went well here. Wonderful tender, meaty, lightly gamy Lamb Shank worked beautifully with the Tomato & Saffron Stew. :slight_smile:

Lubia Polo (Sautéed Green Beans, Tomato Sauce & Diced Beef Cooked with Basmati (or Brown Rice), Served with a Skewer of Chicken Koobideh (or Beef or Lamb Koobideh) Kabob):

SInce @J_L recommended the Lubia Polo at Shaherzad, we wanted to try Shamshiri’s as a point of reference for later. :wink: Shamshiri’s Lubia Polo is uniquely pungent, with the Brown Rice being a bit too wet for our tastes (they sauteed / mixed in Green Beans and Ground Beef). It was OK, a touch salty and almost musty.

The Chicken Koobideh Kabob, though, was as juicy, flavorful and well-spiced as before! :blush:

4th visit:

Gheymeh Bademjan (Diced Beef Sautéed with Onions & Yellow Split Peas in a Saffron Tomato Sauce topped with Pan Fried Eggplant):

Since @J_L recommended this dish also at Shaherzad, this was the other dish we wanted to try at Shamshiri as a baseline reference. Shamshiri’s Gheymeh Bademjan is piquant, earthy (from the Yellow Split Peas) with some tender chunks of Beef giving this dish more of a satisfying meatiness (if you were in the mood for that) over the Khoresh-E-Bademjan version.

I really love the Brown Rice option. :slight_smile:

Zereshk Polo (Sautéed Barberries & Saffron, with Basmati (or Brown) Rice, Served with Boiled Chicken (or Lamb Shank, or Lamb Neck)):

Thanks to @Bookwich for the recommendation, the Steamed Basmati Rice with Sauteed Barberries & Saffron resulted in a fragrant, lightly sweet-tart flavor, which might seem off-putting at first, but it worked, especially when ordered with the Boiled Chicken:

Our waiter recommended the Boiled Chicken option to pair with the Zereshk Polo, saying that was the way his family ate it growing up (another waitress overheard our question and chimed in happily, saying her grandmother made it that way as well).

One of the nice surprises was the great QPR: You get half a Chicken(!) with this order, served with a nice portion of the Chicken Soup it was cooked in. This tastes like a familiar, classic “Chicken & Vegetable Soup,” in the best way imaginable:

It’s elemental, humble, reminding me of a great Chicken Soup (and Chicken) I ate with my family growing up. It was delicious! :heart: And it matched the Zereshk Polo perfectly.

Shamshiri Grill (Westwood)
1712 Westwood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Tel: (310) 474-1410

5 Likes

Update 2:

Combination Appetizer Platter (Dolmeh, Baba Ganoush, Mirzah Ghasemi, Hummus & Falafel):

The Combination Appetizer is a great way to start the meal. The Dolmeh (Fresh Herbs, Chana Dal, Lentils, Rice, Caramelized Onions, Chopped Beef, Spices Wrapped with Grape Leaves and Baked) were nicely seasoned and tasty little bites. The Hummus was fine, nothing too amazing, but it was a crowd pleaser with our large group.

My favorite was probably Mirzah Ghasemi (Charcoal Roasted Eggplants infused with Sauteed Garlic, Onion and Tomatoes), which hit all the right notes, a bit smoky, savory, sweet, fragrant from the Onion & Garlic, a great dip. :slight_smile:

Baghali Polo (Fava Beans and Fresh Baby Dill Baked with Basmati Rice, served with Stewed Lamb Shank (or Stewed Chicken / Stewed Lamb Neck):

My favorite Persian dish in general, Shamshiri Grill’s version is probably one of the best I’ve tried locally. Fragrant Dill-infused Rice, super tender, long-stewed Lamb Shank that is fork tender. :heart: Beautiful stewed flavors, deeply savory and not overly salty.

Adas (Lentil Soup) (Caramelized Onion and Garlic melted into Cooked Lentil Soup):

As earthy and warming as before. A nice hearty soup.

Lamb Koobideh Kabob (Skewer of Seasoned Ground Lamb Mesquite Broiled):

Still as bursting with flavor as before. So many Koobideh Skewers around town turn out overly salty, or dried out, but the Lamb Koobideh Kabob was as tasty as our last visit. (Thanks again @Bigmouth!)

SSG Onions - FREE:

Sorry, we couldn’t resist. In honor of @PorkyBelly, and to try and make up the ridiculous overcharge @PorkyBelly got at APL Restaurant for Raw Onions for $10, oh look! You can get an entire Large Onion for FREE at Shamshiri Grill (and every other legit Persian restaurant in the city). :stuck_out_tongue:

Chicken Koobideh Kabob (Skewer of Seasoned Ground Chicken, Mesquite Broiled):

Their Chicken Koobideh Kabob (ordered ala carte here) is juicy, well-spiced and full of flavor and not overly salty. Another delicious alternative if you don’t eat Lamb. :slight_smile:

6th Visit:

Complimentary Fresh Baked Whole Wheat Shamshiri Bread:

As usual, Shamshiri Grill’s complimentary Whole Wheat Shamshiri Bread arrives hot, fresh baked out of the oven, served with Butter, Onions, Mint and Radishes.

Bamieh (Okra and Mushroom Stew with Tomato Saffron) + Lamb Shank:

We hadn’t tried their Bamieh before, and I love Okra, so why not? :slight_smile: This turned out to be tasty, but it did feel like just the sum of its parts: There were nice, tender bites of Stewed Okra and Mushrooms, some tasty, tart (and a little sweet) Tomato Sauce, and the Lamb Shank was tender and fresh and meaty (as usual). It went well with some Rice as a comfort dish, but it was also a little straightforward. It wasn’t bad at all (quite tasty as a simple Stew), but we were hoping for more.

Adas (Lentil Soup) (Caramelized Onion and Garlic melted into Cooked Lentil Soup):

Included as part of the Lunch Specials, this is definitely one of the best values in the area for the amount of food you get.

Zereshk Polo (Sautéed Barberries & Saffron, with Basmati (or Brown) Rice, Served with Boiled Chicken (or Lamb Shank, or Lamb Neck)):

Still one of our favorite surprises at Shamshiri Grill (thanks to @Bookwich), the Boiled Chicken is perfect, tender, moist and the perfect savory match to the Sauteed Barberries and Saffron Steamed Basmati Rice (which gives it that bit of sweet & piquant). It works. :slight_smile:

Shamshiri Grill is still a pleasant lunchtime (or dinner) stop, serving some nice Persian Stews and Kabobs. If you’re in the mood for delicious Stewed Lamb Shanks, give their Baghali Polo w/ Lamb Shanks a try, the Dill-Infused Rice and super tender Lamb Shank makes it a great meal as it gets colder.

Their Lamb (and Chicken) Koobideh Kabobs are the standouts still from their Grilled side of the menu, and that Zereshk Polo with tender Stewed (Boiled) Chicken remains delicious as well.

Shamshiri Grill (Westwood)
1712 Westwood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Tel: (310) 474-1410

9 Likes

I literally LOLed at your onion reference! Wish I was in the city enough to give this place a go.

1 Like

yea koobideh and the stews are great but yesterday we discovered how great their grilled baramundi is!

Sergio in the house with the “fuck yo gram” face

5 Likes

Just saw this post for the first time and have a generic question not worth its own post.

Is there a difference between Persian food and Iranian food?

Yes.
They are spelled differently.

12 Likes

Basically the only thing I’m good for.

I keep waiting for someone to ask a question I have some expertise in.

Tah-duhhh!

4 Likes