It's Raining in Los Angeles! What Are You Eating?

Do you have a favorite Shanghainese place for lion head meatballs, preferably Hong Shao with plenty of cabbage in SGV? I need a taste of home

Cut steak don rare with raw egg at Red Rock Sawtelle. I’m surprised that place doesn’t get more love on FTC.

2 Likes

Birthday dinner last night at Izakaya Tonchinkan in Arcadia (no photos, sorry). Always cozy (especially in the rain) and fun there, feels almost like being in Japan. Legit food and good sake collection, some of it from the chef’s own private stash.

1 Like

Homemade turkey soup, with rice.

Sipping once, sipping twice, sipping turkey soup with rice!*

*With deep apologies to Maurice Sendak.

3 Likes

We enjoyed our meal at the Torrance location not long after they opened. Strangely, even my meat loving daughter hasn’t mentioned going back or trying the West LA location. I’ll have to put that name back in the hat. My memory of that meal is almost singular - “the cone of beef” on top of that well-executed rice.

1 Like

personally i prefer cantonese steamed minced pork to lion’s head, but it’s what i grew up with.

This is in the Michael’s/Petco mall? I need another place there besides Popcorn Chicken…

Second floor of the Olympic Collection (Butcher’s Dog and Coco’s) if I remember correctly.

@Bigmouth Is it as good as the Torrance one?

1 Like

Red Rock also has a Omurice that looks pretty decadent with what appears to be beef gravy from all that high quality beef juices.

I’ll be happy with this and kinda wanna learn too

1 Like

'Cuz I think it sucks balls. Big time. One of my very worst meals of 2018. Probably THE worst meal of 2018, now that I think back…

Usually I like to keep things positive, but man, the public deserves to be warned. My beef bowl contained near-raw sinew, cold rice, and just the right touch of nope.

1 Like

Love the “cone of beef” :rofl: Assume that’s the kobe beef don? That’s usually the one I get too. This was my first time trying the cut steak, and I think I may like it even better. It’s a little thicker and has a little more flavor than the roast beef.

Olympic Collection. In the space formerly occupied by Morinoya. If you are craving red meat, definitely keep Red Rock in mind.

I’ve never been to the Torrance location but my buddy who has claims they’re basically identical in food and decor.

Ooh I’ll have too keep that in mind!

Always speak your truth, my friend :slightly_smiling_face: I will say, however, I’ve never experienced anything like that on multiple visits. Maybe the odd bite of gristle, but never the whole piece, let alone an entire bowl. And the rice has always been well executed like @bulavinaka described.

2 Likes

Yes. It was a rosy medium rare, toward rare.I also remember the roast beef being very good too. The sauce was excellent. My son and daughter preferred the roast beef because the sauce/rice umami comfort food experience.

Red Rock vs Wadatsumi

Do you prefer one or the other?

Sorry - haven’t tried Wadatsumi. You are fast becoming the journeyman foodist of all things Asian…

I think the QPR is better at Wadatsumi, but I love the sauces at Red Rock… Also Red Rock occasionally has specials which are always worth ordering…

It’s good. But not quite those custardy ones that you see on Youtube.

Comfort food : curry udon

3 Likes

Looks good. Where is that at? I miss Oumi Sasaya.

1 Like

Sanuki Sandou in west LA

Looking at the tray and lighting, I suspect this bowl came from Sanuki Sandou in the Mitsuwa Centinela foodcourt.

(FWIW I miss Oumi Sasaya sorely as well…)

EDIT: I just saw aaqjr’s reply - Yay I was right!