Jun Won restaurant - Western Ave

Our favorite spot made it!

5 Likes

Is that pajeon?

It’s whatever a seafood pancake is called

2 Likes

This place is just heavenly. Every time we go in it’s like visiting relatives. They took a real liking to us. Server was wearing a bracelet my son brought back from Portugal in April… April… he was over the moon when he saw. She insisted we come back before the new year.

Owner still displays my kid’s goofy bee drawing from over a year ago right behind the counter.

They’re excited about the owner of Providence recent visit who was really into it.

For us though it’s just perfect food with tons of makgeoli which is by far a superior pairing to this style of Korean than soju or beer.

The cod dish is going to be featured on Bill Addison’s new list of best dishes in the city in LAT soon.

Chicken bulgogi is still the best we’ve ever had and today we again scored their last serving.

Tofu and soybean stew is just so soul satisfying on a damp night

They taught us how to enjoy ssam or saam or samm

The mother brought out something special to surprise us with and observed to see whether we liked it or not… we did

Oysters in a way we didn’t know existed, a recipe from her hometown

10 Likes

it’s special when you reach that level of rapport at any place that serves good food.

3 Likes

Yes the restaurant and owners/staff are indeed wonderful

1 Like

Oysters cooked, raw, or fermented? Hot or cold? I’ve got to try that next time.

I’ve had Korean restaurants bring out kimchi with oysters and watch to see if I liked it.

Raw, cold in a fermented sauce. Pretty great. It’s not standard so ask for it but may not always be available. Right on with Makgeoli

1 Like

My old high school buddy was visiting from Alaska, so I had an unwitting victim to drag to restaurants with me. First on the list was Jun Won.

The owner, I think, Jeff, sat us and my friend told him it was my birthday. It was. I told him we were going to order more than we could eat. He mentioned that two adventerous people had just ordered the crab. I said I didn’t like raw crab, and gave him our order. The last time I had raw crab was at Ruen Pair and wasn’t a fan. Plus, husband had mentioned more recently something you get from eating raw crab. We ordered some soju and got ready for our feast while catching up.

The owner brought us raw crab to try as a birthday present. I had just told my friend what husband had said about raw crab, so she didn’t want to eat. But I felt I couldn’t refuse, and tried it. Boy, it was good!!

This was a favorite of the small plates. Jeff said it was made from acorns.

We got the seafood pancake. I asked for extra jalapeños. My friend asked if they ate jalapeños in Korea and Jeff said no. This was delicious, pure comfort food. We had very little of it at restaurant and I have to say, it made excellent leftovers.

I think of this as the pork belly tacos with pickled cabbage. The waitress, who didn’t speak much English, showed us how to eat this with the picked garlic that came in the small plates. It was fantastic that way, and rolled in the cabbage.

Wait, there’s more! We had the black cod. Is this really cod or sablefish? I think sablefish. So rich. And melt in your mouth delicious. And the radish is excellent, also.

We had a great lunch and closed out the restaurant. We chatted for a while with Jeff before leaving, about high school and the high cost of living in Los Angeles.

7 Likes

“Black cod” is another name for sable. Such a great dish.

They may not have jalapeños in Korea but they have lots of others. Jalapeños and serranos are common substitutions in American recipes.

2 Likes

I want to make her green chile pancake!

Your eating adventures have been so fun to read…I love how you warn the service staff that you are prepared to order way more than you’re going to need. Such a cool adventure!

2 Likes

I love that Black Cod at Jun Won! If you don’t mind bones then the sweet, soft, and buttery cod is such a joy to eat. The daikon pieces soak up all those juices as well.

Jeff is the best!

2 Likes

the only disappointment is that the daikon is about double that of the cod in total volume.

1 Like

That’s my favorite thing about the dish. So much perfect daikon.

for how much they charge and the relatively low price of daikon, i’d rather have more than 4-6 pieces of fish.

Thank you!!

Standard operating procedure for many FTCers lol…

3 Likes

Whaaaaat? Sable is black cod? No wonder we love it. That’s a standard smoked / cured fish in Russia. You see it at Jewish delis

I don’t remember if you have a smoker, or are just an incredible grillmaster, but here, Smoked Sablefish Recipe - Black Cod Recipe | Hank Shaw, is a recipe I have done numerous times. My Russian friends love it.