June 2016 Weekend Rundown

I just don’t think you can evaluate a restaurant’s current level of cooking or service (“bloom is off the rose a bit”) based on a Fathers Day (or Mothers, Valentines, etc.) Sure it is impressive if they perform up to usual standards, but crowds and their staffing are atypical.

I remember their lasagne from a long-ago visit: about the same height and width as your pic, but sliced only about an inch thick and presented almost like a pate. It was delicious, with extremely tender pasta and rich fillings, but probably half your portion.

Hi @nosh - Yes. It being Father’s Day was taken into consideration. It’s why husband and I stopped going out on the actual Valentine’s Day holiday. We have no intention of quitting Mozza because of the one experience. But honestly, we’ve never had much of a problem on Father’s Day. If the hosts had been initially friendly, all other quirks would’ve been forgiven. There were 4 greeters/seaters/managers when we arrived. It was after the brunch rush and before dinner. The female hostess was helping the busboys clear tables. The guys were just standing there. It made my husband uncomfortable, like he wanted to help :unamused:.

We went to Jon & Vinny’s with a group once. It was super busy and our table wasn’t ready. The hostess opened up our wine and served us while we waited. That is the kind of service one would expect from Mozza.

Your observation about the lasagne is interesting. That piece you saw was a quarter eaten. The guys thought the portion size was right on point. You’re right about it being cooked perfectly :yum:.

Speaking of Jon & Vinny’s, went there for Father’s Day this year and it was terrific. Service was spot on and the food was amazing as always. I love the place. Their Ham & Yeezy might be my favorite pizza in the city.

Get there early enough and it’s actually kid friendly as well. (Assuming the kiddos don’t tune into the lyrics on the wonderfully curated 90s hip hop mix playing in the background.)

1 Like

Funny @Helper_Monkey. That could turn into an uncomfortable conversation. Anyway, I also really enjoy meals at Jon & Vinny’s.

#Salazar

The esquites with mascarpone on top was amaizeing

:chicken:

:pig:

:cow:

The pork chop was so white the LAPD let it off with a warning #whitemeatmatters

First dessert popcorn flan

#Magpies
Second dessert strawberry rhubarb and sweet cream

9 Likes

Koi Japanese Cuisine (Seal Beach)
Lunch omakase with Taka-san is always a wonderful treat.
Snapper sampler - red snapper, black snapper…and I will be honest…I forget the other two. I loved the black snapper and how it was rich and lush and light all at the same time. No shoyu needed as the fish was seasoned with sea salt, lemon, and a bit of either yuzu.

Tuna sampler - otoro, bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna, and zuke. All so delightful that I don’t know which one I loved more.

Salmon/Mackerel sampler - ocean trout, sockeye, Spanish mackerel, king mackerel. While I love salmon, the mackerel options were just lovely. I’m now a fan of King Mackerel.

Mediterranean Sea bass with yuzu, kumquat, and jalapeño. This one was a new one we’d never had before. I really enjoyed it.

A little celebratory sake to accompany lunch. It was a bit floral and a bit fruity. Very nice.

Sampler - scallop, chopped otoro with shisho and uni, ebi, fried ebi head. The scallop was so sweet. This plate paired very well with the sake. The otoro bite was one of my favorite bites of the meal. And who doesn’t love a fried shrimp head?

Albacore simply dressed with a bit of ponzu, green onion, and kumquat

Giant clam and sardine. I’d never had these before. The giant clam was very ocean-y sweet and had a nice slightly firm texture. Very surprising, and very good. The sardine was also quite pleasant because it was rich and fatty without being overwhelming.

I love this place…and can’t ever get enough. Total damage for 4 before tip was under $400…however we come here often, so I’m quite sure we were well taken care of.

10 Likes

Sidecar Donuts Santa Monica

8 Likes

Mitsuwa trip. No. 9 cold soba and vegetable tempura lunch at Hannosuke, red bean with green tea cream obanyaki for dessert (special vendor), and miso halibut bento from the market to-go.

9 Likes

Where’s @MaladyNelson? I feel like she’d love something like the last pic, although I’m not sure why?

1 Like

Ha ha, guilty as charged, @paranoidgarliclover! That’s my dirty secret. I kind of live off of these Mitsuwa bentos, particularly if they have a piece of grilled salmon. My husband always teases me because I tend to favor meals with little compartments of vegetables.

Great looking meal, @chinchi!

I loved the yuzu honey soft serve ice cream from Magpies - very subtle, so I couldn’t really detect the honey. I’m going to try strawberry rhubarb next. What I don’t love is their very cramped parking lot.

I followed that up with the Ira Glass sandwich from Wax Paper Co. It’s as good as ever - a lovely medley of sharp cheddar cheese, vegetables, and hearty Bub and Grandma’s bread.

I fobbed off most of my vegan chocolate cupcake from by CHLOE (located in 365 by Whole Foods in Silver Lake) onto my husband; I stole a single bite. It was nice and moist and deeply chocolatey, but the frosting was super sweet. I’m planning to visit by CHLOE in the near future for a vegan burger or a salad, and I’m quite intrigued by their shiitake bacon. The papaya from 365 was woefully underripe - so much so that it was difficult to chew it.

The pale pink drink is my homemade rhubarb cordial. I think I’m officially addicted to the stuff.

6 Likes

I looked over your photos as I sat with a dozen imagawayaki from TK North. :smiley:

2 Likes

Bang-bang-bang-bang at amboy, pok pok, goa tacos, and rucker’s pie.

#Amboy
Pork belly

Chicken

Mango rice pudding

Isamada

#Pok pok phat thai
Pork and shrimp

#Goa tacos
Pork belly taco

#Rucker’s pie
Blackberry and blood orange

Lemon chess

6 Likes

What did you think of Pok Pok Phat Thai?

I love a good lemon dessert, and that lemon chess looks incredible.

Near the end of the strawberry season?

Harry’s Berries

9 Likes

It was okay, not the worst or best I’ve had. I added all the condiments but for me it was still lacking in umami. I got more salt than umami from the fish sauce, maybe i cooked it wrong?

Raku

Daily special oyster

Shima aji, outstanding. Chef Matt is killing it.

Grilled salmon belly, highlight of the night, crispy fatty, smoky and just melts in your mouth.

Pork cheeks and iberico pork, so porky it started stuttering :pig:

Portobello stuffed with asajime ground chicken

Deep fried asajime chicken

Teba wing

Agedashi tofu

Foie gras, the skewers helped me shove this down my throat.

Udon with foie gras egg custard

10 Likes

Started off the b’day weekend with Lunch at Providence, then had a lil food tour on Saturday. Bang bang bang bang ad infinitum.

Forgive me father for I have sinned. It’s been three days since my last salad…

HOWLIN’ RAY’S
Country White Breast/Wing and Mild Sandwich

BULGARINI GELATO
Pistachio / Strawberry / White Peach

Hazelnut / Nectarine

WALKER INN
The menu right now is themed around “Climate.” I took pictures of the cocktails, but they’re not worth sharing on account of the lighting. We had the Water Cycle (which was three 1/2 cocktails), Rice Paddy and Mediterranean. All were very very good, with the Rice Paddy probably standing out as the favorite. It tasted like morning dew, man!

CASSELL’S HAMBURGERS

COTTONHI

SUL & BEANS

10 Likes

Sounds like a fun way to celebrate. Happy belated birthday!

1 Like

I was treated to dinner at Tavern’s 3rd annual Low Country Boil last night. Not familiar with this type of cuisine, but for me the dinner had both hits and misses. Favorites included the creamed corn, sausage chunks in the boil, and dessert. Lows included my first bite of tomato in the heirloom tomato and watermelon salad (mealy) and too-rich-for-me grits and gravy. Service was impeccable. One of the runners saw I checked in on the Copa America game in the bar area and switched the TV visible from our table over to the game so I could watch the penalty kicks.

11 Likes