June 2018 Weekend Rundown

No room for risotto?

If only the caviar risotto was available during the daytime…

2 Likes

@PorkyBelly This is an awful picture, but it was an excellent, very fragrant truffle pizza. To paraphrase @ipsedixit, get thee to Wolfgang Puck at the Bel Air.

Also a tomato/fig/burrata salad. My friend was so funny, “You forgot to take a picture, this was really good and we ate all the tomatoes already.” My friends do not take photos of their food, but are supportive of my predilection to do so. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

hock + hoof

Ironically the menu had neither hock nor hoof.

beef heart tartare, egg yolk, apple pear, sesame, radish, rice cracker
The chefs put a lot of heart into this dish

squid, forbidden rice, squid ink, wild mushrooms
More earthy than a phish fan at burning man.

striped bass, fish sauce, thai chilies, scallions, cilantro, peanuts, rice paper
This was like a vietnamese ca nuong cuon. The fish was properly fried but I wasn’t a fan of the orange-y sauce. I wish it came with some pickles, vermicelli, and nuac mam.

not toto

7 Likes

Are those the full dishes? They seem kind of small but hard to tell portion size sometimes in pictures.

3 Likes

I don’t remember what the FTC consensus on Boston Lobster is, but I sure love it. It’s nice not having to deal with Newport’s long waits. I also really like the lunch specials. Huge quantities and you get complimentary hot & sour soup and steamed rice. We usually get a few lunch dishes and the bo luc lac and house lobster from the regular menu, but didn’t get lobster today.

Bo Luc Lac:

Salt & Pepper Fried Pork Chop:

Kung Pao Chicken:

Yang Chow Fried Rice:

6 Likes

Had a party catered at the house this past weekend. Had 4 trays of these babies muled over…

Tan Cang Newport Seafood - House special lobster with noodles

9 Likes

Now that’s FTC hosting, gangnam-style…

2 Likes

That tray was the leftovers…that was for dinner last night.

3 Likes

My friend works for ESPN and is in Russia for the World Cup. She sent photos of her dinner at White Rabbit.

I kind of wanted to tear my hair out because why are you ordering burrata and panne cotta in Moscow?! But it was nice of her to share her meal. :slight_smile:

Russian Scallop.

She called it steak, it’s actually boar, with parsnip purée. :slight_smile:

Vegetables.

Dessert and the aforementioned burrata.

I posted here because my friend is from Los Angeles, and we don’t have a Moscow board, and it is the weekend.

2 Likes

After @yogachik’s rec, I decided to try Forma for the first time yesterday. Cacio e pepe was indeed delicious, and the cheese selection is a bit overwhelming! We asked server at the bar to choose 3 cheese for us, and they were great (St Pats Cowgirl Creamery; Truffle Tremor; Roquefort – Papillon). My favorite was the truffled cheese. Bread pudding was surprising delicate (and quite custard-y). Didn’t get as much nutella as I had hoped.

Clam pasta was underseasoned (IMHO) and could’ve used more clam flavor.

Wine (Cote du Rhone Clos de Trias Ventoux) would’ve paired great w/ the cheese, but we ordered it after that, and it overpowered the pasta. Generous pour.

Everything here has a relatively light hand, which is both good (cacio e pepe) and not so great (clam pasta). The quality of the ingredients is undeniable, though. Service from our main server was a bit indifferent (we asked for sparkling water and got still water; we had to ask for glasses to be refilled multiple times).

Ordered my first Rucker pie and picked it today. Got home and noticed it had cracked and the filling is seeping a bit. Oh, well. Hopefully, it’ll still taste delicious (it’s for a party later tonight, so I’ll report back).

4 Likes

That looks SO delicious…

2 Likes

Sit at the bar next time, and watch the Cheese person working, she chats with you and gives recs. It’s so fun to be a part of it, and partake. Bartender, sadly, is solo, so service can take a while though. Glad you liked Forma, @paranoidgarliclover, especially that you liked the Cacio e Pepe pasta. :smile: