Kevin's latest column in LA Weekly

You might be surprised how many hours a week restaurants spend dealing with cash. If you don’t have cash, you don’t need a safe, either, which saves more money.

At places that draw a younger or more affluent crowd, so few people pay with cash that it’s probably more profitable not to take it.

1 Like

I understand all the reasons, intellectually. But I don’t like that I can’t eat anonymously. That bothers me the most.

1 Like

When I wrote reviews I had an authorized user credit card with a different name.

I’ll just tack this on here for no particular reason. If they don’t take cash, do they take debit cards?

Any point-of-sale system that takes Visa and MasterCard credit cards also takes Visa and MasterCard debit cards.

Merchants prefer debit cards because they don’t have to pay a percentage to the credit card clearance service.

1 Like

Perhaps off-topic (or something you could answer in private messaging), but why do you like to eat anonymously?

1 Like

I can’t answer for Bookwich, but I’m in her camp on this. I find it troubling that a big corporation responsible to essentially no one has access to and control of all my habits, which stores I go to, what I ordered. That is my information, and I don’t consider the fee I got for it (“targeted” ads) to be a good deal on my end. So I try as much as possible to use cash. Just my way of passively resisting the system.

Also, if I actually pay physical money over to someone for a meal (or whatever) it makes it VERY clear to me how much I am paying and what I’m getting in return. Do I want ramen for lunch $15(CDN) worth? Sometimes that answer is yes. And sometimes it’s no. It helps me keep my poor spending habits in check. Granted, if I’m worried about that sort of thing, I’m probably not going to a CC only place.

But I don’t even like the concept. This is just the sort of thing that makes me wanna pull up my black socks up past the bottoms of my cargo shorts and yell at the kids to stay off my lawn. Hooligans.

4 Likes

I believe debit cards are accepted too.

As long as they can run it through Square, and I think Square takes both.

And those whole dishes are too much for one per/

I agree.

Then you’re credit card company has better ways in tracking and maybe performing targeted advertising on you ?

I’m not generally a fan of poke bowls if they are made from poor quality tuna.

If you carry a smartphone w/ you and don’t turn off location services, then presumably multiple companies have ways of track you and your presumed spending habits… And other habits, actually. My understanding is that Porsche refuses to use Android Auto b/c of the data mining by Google.

so we’re basically fucked ? even when using cash

2 Likes

Oh, for sure. Any illusion of actual privacy was shattered ages ago. I’m pretty sure my petty little protest inconveniences no one but me. I’ve missed things because I don’t watch Twitter. I’ve let chances to see or do something go unnoticed until it was far too late because I don’t have a facebook account. That’s now the cost of trying to keep a sense of personal space. And this is undoubtedly MY problem, since a gazillion other people apparently have no issue with it and the world continues to spin.

2 Likes

Is your avatar Max Hendrom from the 1980s ?

Kevin, is that you???

People are so weird here.

4 Likes

That’s what makes this place so special and successful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

C-c-c-correct!

Would you to try our bonus-bone-bone-bonus round?

3 Likes

Nope just me.