Key Ingredients

If anyone comes across this brand can you give me a shoutout? I can’t find it and fear it’s discontinued.

I’ve bought 3 different smoked paprikas but they’re mostly one note: sour paprika and no distinguishable smoke flavor, or two notes: sour paprika and overly-smoked or liquid smoke flavor. Syren has a nice blend of aromas (slightly funky, think Italian sub?), tart & sweet paprika and natural smoke. I like to add smoked paprika to homemade bbq sauce, chili, meat stews, it adds a touch of smokey bbq flavor to oven roasted meats, and it gives vegetarian meatless meat dishes a nice oomph… oh yeah and deviled eggs too. I could go on…

This hot one is not bad, but again with overly-smoked or liquid smoke flavor.

Thanks!

Task Rabbit! You just gave me an idea for getting a case of my favorite, Marshall’s Rib Sauce and Honey Sauce. :yum: They used to sell it at Whole Foods, but now it’s only sold at their restaurant in Ventura. I can’t get them to send me a case and who knows when I’ll make that trip.

I tried Amazon but it’s unavailable. :smirk:

Oh, shit, I missed that.

Does anyone know what is Preserved Soybeans (dried, grilled or powder)? Where to get it? Or a substitute? I bought The Food of Northern Thailand cookbook @hppzz & @ebethsdad and it’s listed in the essential ingredients section. I’m definitely not going to make it, so I’m stumped.

Looks like this…

1 Like

Thua nao is apparently not available outside of northern Thailand. See page 328 for recommended substitutions.

2 Likes

Oh yay!

@robert beat me to it, but natto, a Japanese product is fairly easy to find (I saw some at 99Ranch this morning), and considered a good substitute.
Isn’t that a wonderful cookbook? My daughter gave it to me. That “Cooking South of the Clouds”, and “Basque Country” are the three I have been leafing through a lot lately. Can’t really do justice to Thai food as my lovely wife doesn’t care for it.

1 Like

Yes! I flipped to the Index but not the Glossary and I was starting to think it’s one of those cookbooks that look cool on the shelf but rarely gets used.

1 Like

Oh no I would use it, but C just doesn’t like Thai food. When ebeth can finally visit again its khao soi time. How is A with Thai cuisine?

1 Like

That’s exactly the dish I plan to get my feet wet in. A’s a meat & potatoes type guy (bbq, burgers, tacos, steak, loves red sauce Italian) but he’ll eat anything. We like spicy but have to take a break from it sometimes. :wink:

1 Like

When you saw Natto was it whole beans in goo? Because that’s a whole other animal than freeze-dried or powdered. But the powdered seems more like a supplement (nattokinase). :disappointed:

1 Like

I just glanced at the package, but I think it was packaged in goo.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m going to take my chances with the powder. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Time is my favorite ingredient and it has been nice to have more time at home. Taking care to make dishes is so nice and I’m hugely against instapot culture.

#normalpot

DChang is right

3 Likes

Yeah it’s been really nice. Not the dish washing, but the cooking and trying new things has been like meditation.

I‘m a live and let live type, so I don’t hate Instapot-ers. They’re a life saver for busy families who don’t want to eat out or don’t live in a restaurant bubble like us Angelenos. I’M just not getting one. :wink: None of the above apply to me, so. No challenge. No fun.

Hmm, while not a fan of crockpot meals I find a pressure cooker valuable for certain tasks. It makes better stock than stovetop cooking does. Its great for beans, and mashed potatoes as potatoes cooked in a pressure cooker are steamed rather than boiled.

Yeah, the pressure cooker is old school - that one I’ve considered. Not for beans, though. I like the challenge of getting long cooked beans right. But, I’m a bean freak, in case you haven’t noticed. :blush: The crockpot was a lifesaver when the boys were young or before they got girls and weren’t hanging around as much. :wink: Put it on in the morning and come home to dinner! Now it just takes up space in the cupboard.

1 Like

So off topic… but jimmy crack corn and I don’t care! This thread ain’t gettin’ much action anyway.

1 Like