L.A.'s New England Seafood Shack - Connie & Ted's

live sea urchin = buying a lotto ticket

4 Likes

But when you hit it, cha ching.

1 Like

Update 2:

Woke up and It felt like a New England Seafood Shack kind of day. :wink:

As usual a nice display of their fresh Seafood next to the Live Lobster tanks.

Bloody Mary (Tomato Juice, Worcestershire, Olive Brine, Horseradish, Celery Salt, Hot Sauce, Fresh Lemon, Housemade Atomic Seasoning, Housemade Celery & Bay Leaf Vodka):

Connie & Ted’s has been making a pretty consistent, tasty, Bloody Mary since our early visits. Spicy, peppery, umami from the Tomato Juice and not overly boozy.

Chef’s Choice Oyster Platter - Kumiai (Baja), Evening Cove (BC), Little Hoodlum (WA), Pirate Cove (MA), Indian Neck (MA), Cape Neddick (NY):

Connie & Ted’s Oysters continue to be some of the best in the city. It’s always fascinating to explore the variety of Oysters that Chef Cimarusti and his team source from around North America. My favorite on this visit was probably the Pirate Cove Oysters, just so bright and fresh. :slight_smile:

Side of Fries:

For those wanting to enjoy some great French Fries, the type that’s crispy-crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy inside, Connie & Ted’s Fries are some of the best in L.A.! They are SO GOOD! :heart:

Peeky Toe Crab & Lobster Omelette (Fines Herbs, Beurre Blanc, Housemade Grilled Pullman Bread):

This was simply delicious: Light, fluffy, nicely cooked Omelette (not overcooked like most are around the city), with tender morsels of Crab and Lobster inside. The Beurre Blanc Sauce was a great match without overwhelming the dish. :blush:

Their Housemade Pullman Bread was lightly toasted-crunchy, and a great accompaniment to the Omelette.

Another Visit:

Buttermilk Biscuit (Served with Strawberry Jam):

This was a good Housemade Biscuit. Crusty, slightly crunchy, that gives way to a crumbly-soft interior. It was served warm and was pretty tasty, not overly greasy or heavy.

One Dozen Oysters - Misty Point (VA), Salutation (PEI), Sunberry Point (PEI), Tabor Point (MA), Phantom Creek (BC), Coromandel (NZ):

The selection on this visit was even better than our last. It was really great trying out the flavors in these Oysters that were all so distinct, some with more salinity, others very sweet. I really liked the Sunberry Point Oysters from Prince Edward Island, and a rare New Zealand appearance with the Coromandel Oysters. :slight_smile:

Jo’s Wicked Good Chowda’ - Manhattan:

I love all 3 types of Clam Chowders at Connie & Ted’s, but today’s Manhattan Chowder was one of the best versions yet: Beautifully briny, sweet-tart from the Tomato base, tender bits of Potato and Clams. :slight_smile:

Avocado Toast with Smoked Black Cod (Radish, Cucumber, Sungold Tomato, Nori, Smoked Sesame Seeds):

Connie & Ted’s Brunch-Only Avocado Toast with Smoked Black Cod turns out to be a legitimately different take on the ubiquitous Avocado Toast seemingly everywhere these days. The Housemade Bread is crunchy and nicely toasted, the Avocado adds a beautiful creaminess, but it’s the Smoked Black Cod that shines here: A wonderful smokiness, delicate, flaky Smoked Black Cod reinforced by the Smoked Sesame Seeds. :slight_smile:

Joanne’s Fish & Chips (Batter-Dipped Cod, Tartar Sauce & Chips):

Just as amazing as usual: Crispy-crunchy battered exterior, yielding moist, flaky, perfectly cooked through Cod (not overcooked). I love the flavor profile here, especially with a nice dose of Malt Vinegar and some Lemon. :blush:

Their Fries were as fantastic as usual, crispy-crunchy and fluffy inside.

At this point Connie & Ted’s has definitely settled in and established itself as a comfortable, welcoming casual place to enjoy some very fresh Seafood prepared in a homage to Chef Cimarusti’s family’s New England heritage. Their Oysters are some of the best in the city, and there’s always an ever-rotating, unique selection to try; their new Lobster & Crab Omelette for Brunch is wonderful; and you can always drop in for some outstanding Lobster Rolls and Fish & Chips (and many other offerings).

Connie & Ted’s
8171 Santa Monica Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90046
Tel: (323) 848-2722

13 Likes

Oh great @Chowseeker1999!

So love that C&T’s is still on point. I mean, really, they’re also baking good breads; the Pullman loaf is so New Englandy (also good for making thai toast :slight_smile:, lol ) Question: is your current update all from the brunch menu?

Random comment: In my book C&T’s still reigns supreme in the oyster department. But what in the Sam Hill is up with the current trend of the ever changing oyster names at seafood restaurants? Could there really be this many varieties of oysters or is it a marketing tool. I need something to hold onto! :sweat_smile:

P.S. I see you’ve thrown in the towel on trying to like the fried clams… Hehehe.

2 Likes

It makes for a great hang loose place on a lazy Sunday mid morning :call_me_hand:. Coromandels are one of my favorites, and we stick with the oysters, clams, and a couple of lobster rolls - 1 hot and 1 cold (and of course, with fries).

Agreed.

There are 6 general species of oysters that are consumed commercially. However, there are many, many varieties within those. Partly because oysters really reflect their local waters and sea flora, so they have distinct characteristics regionally. (Some use the term “merroir,” a portmanteau or “mer” and “terroir.”).(You can, however, have 2 or more different species grown in the same place). Partly because of the “grow out” methods by the producers. Shigoku oysters are an example of how a particular “grow out” method has resulted in a particular oyster anatomy. Branding and marketing do also play a factor. There are some oysters which are basically the same but go by different names from different companies. Overall, it’s kind of like wine, but not exactly.

9 Likes

Could you start a thread about this? Really interesting, as usual.

Now THAT looks like an amazing omelet. I can reproduce the Petite Trois omelet any old time, but I’m just not going to go through the trouble to make the C+T beauty you posted. Extraordinary stuff!
Buerre blanc eats Boursin for breakfast!

4 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks. :slight_smile: No, only a few of the items are from the Brunch menu (mainly the amazing Lobster & Crab Omelette, Smoked Black Cod Avocado Toast, and the Buttermilk Biscuit). The rest are from the Lunch menu.

There do seem to be so many names, but @BradFord has a great explanation (thanks!).

Fried Clams? Maybe… But I’ll try it again! :wink:

1 Like

And when you be hosting a FTC breakfast? :slight_smile:

Perhaps a silly question, but is a beurre blanc sauce THAT difficult to make?

2 Likes

Good stuff @BradFord.

Has it always been this way? Or is it because there are so many good farms now carefully cultivating these oysters. I just don’t remember being offered such a variety in the past. There were about 5 tried and true types on a menu and you knew which you liked. But it seems to be in the last decade more and more and more varieties are on menus. You order the sampler, really like something, then never see it again or maybe you do but it has a different name. I’m not really complaining though, because I’m still getting delicious oysters. :slight_smile:

Thank you for placing my order.

2 Likes

Oh I definitely get this. I’m from Massachusetts, but feel guilty because I almost always prefer oysters from the Pacific Northwest. Now, when we’re talkin’ clams, fuggedaboutit, New England rules. :blush:

2 Likes

More steps, more ingredients and knowing how and when to add the butter to avoid the sauce separating. But also the shopping for and preparing the lobster, etc. So yes, kinda’, for just a simple Sunday morning breakfast. :grin: Easier just to pull out some eggs and Boursin. But @frommtron definitely put in some practice perfecting the Petite Trois (classic french) omelette. I’ll see you at the breakfast.

2 Likes

What @TheCookie said, @paranoidgarliclover!
That’s a lot of prep for a couple of omelets, however delicious they would be.

I have been making omelets for a looooong time, but I still believe anyone can get the basic technique down after just a few perfectly tasty “failures.” You can do it!

3 Likes

Yep San Francisco Bay Area sorely lacks something like Connie and Ted’s. Casual yet upscale enough but consistently very high quality food and great sourcing/handling down to the shucking of the oysters. Even the cocktails are great but strong.

And with a very reasonable corkage fee per bottle ($15 or was it $20) you can do a lot of crazy pairings yourself, including finding the right sake for raw oysters, cooked crabs, seasonally available Santa Barbara sea urchin from the shell, the Hokkaido scallop dog, a seafood pasta, and perhaps the lobster roll which I seriously need to try next time. I think they have one or two sake on the menu, but nothing remarkable enough for me.

2 Likes

Have you been to L&E Oyster? I think they serve the best oysters in the city. Wondering how C&T compares since I haven’t been there yet.

Ironically, I went to Connie and Teds yesterday. Why eat at Beverly Center when Connie and Ted’s is a 5 minute drive away?

They had ME Belons for $4/pc. They are making everything in house, including the breads and crackers, probably makes for a much more consistent end product when variables can be controlled in house.

Alcohol

Lobster fuckin roll :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: and da french fries still great. Picture does justice.

What I love about Connie and Ted’s is how well thought out every dish and every component is. The lobster roll can be eaten and set down all the while everything is still in tact, ready to be eaten for the next bite. Take a bite of the lobster roll, set it down, inhale a handful of fries, sip some alcohol, slurp an oyster and then go right back to where to you left off with the lobster roll or alcohol depending on your mental state.

The croutons that are served with the oysters and clams are perfection. Slightly herby, buttery as fuck, and overly crunchy. They are overly crunchy to a fault so you can dip those mouth sized fuckers in their deliciously delicate white wine broth with ease and elegance, the broth acting to soften the croutons just enough for the perfect crunch every damn bite. The length is a perfect three bites every time (YMMV) and the broth is filled just enough in the bowl to dunk them.

But it is these attention to details that I truly appreciate in a dish. Call me OCD, but I am sure Chef is thinking exactly the same to make the experience that much better. I won’t drop names, but other well established chefs are putting out WTF type level of detail into their cooking. There is a reason I keep coming back to Connie and Ted’s.

Sorry, no pictures of clams and oysters cuz buttery fingers and could not control myself. Perhaps @Chowseeker1999 and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to seafood brunch these days.

8 Likes

Maybe some other time (I’m on work travel right now, just on my phone), though I’m not an expert on oysters and I’m sure there are others who can chime in with more specifics.

I can’t speak with authority on this. My guess is that in part recent food culture has encouraged restaurants to get as many varieties as they can get their hands on. See, for a parallel example, sushi varieties - you would rarely see items like nodoguro more than 4 years ago, and even uni is popular much to the surprise of some chefs who have been in the game for a long time (a welcome change in diners’ preferences for them). I don’t know if specific sourcing related issues have changed the commercial availability of certain types.

I’m trying to keep track of all of my favorites so I can just order several of each next time. I usually forget the whole lineup, and just stick with the sampler so I get exposed to new ones. But off the top of my head, a few that I really liked and would recommend to friends:

Coromandels
Shigoku
Black Duck Salts

I know there are many others but these I remember.

Yes - their lobster roll is good in part because of the textures and proportions which are very nicely done. They have good QC and I think the in-house prep of everything helps.

The ginger one with tequila mellows me out quick! I bet you could think of some sakes to bring - they had a recommended one last time with oysters and it was ok.

I quite like Champagne but haven’t brought a bottle the past few times. In general, a nice grower blanc de blancs does the trick, though admittedly Champagne can be tough to match the mignonette. Sake may do a better job here.

2007 Billecart Extra Brut was a good match with beurre blanc sauce. I love a nice beurre blanc with some fines herbes and Champagne - i gotta try that crab omelette next time.

Consider also a bucket (or half) of steamers! And, don’t forget their sorbets. I’ve enjoyed their summer ones, especially (Santa Rosa plum), but I’m sure whatever they have is quite good. On a hot day, their strawberry lemonade sorbet is quite refreshing, that with some Motown and an empty schedule makes for a nice lazy Sunday. (Alexa, play Iggy Pop “Sunday”)

6 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

Great commentary, and I enjoyed the Hokkaido Scallop Dog the last time it was on the menu! :slight_smile: Thanks for the recommendation.

And !!! on your comment above: You haven’t tried Connie & Ted’s Lobster Roll yet?! Definitely give that a try next time, it is amazing and my favorite in the LA right now. :blush:

1 Like

Hi @tailbacku,

Thanks for the reminder. No I haven’t been yet. I actually drive by at least once a month, visiting friends, but every time I look at Silver Lake Blvd. and the lack of parking, I just get discouraged and never feel like stopping in. :sweat_smile: One of these days.

Hi @A5KOBE,

Great report and pics, thanks. :slight_smile: Yes! That’s a great observation about Connie & Ted’s plating and preparation of their dishes. I felt the same way as well: I could take a bite of my Lobster Roll, set it down (it doesn’t fall apart nor fall over), and eat a fry or two, take a sip of my Bloody Mary or other drink and resume. :grin:

I think you or @PorkyBelly pointed out their Lemons are covered in a sheer cloth to prevent the seeds from falling out, so you can squeeze to your heart’s content. :slight_smile:

3 Likes