Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

That’s even more disgusting than the #19. Those don’t look like good tomatoes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtMX150FKEr/

2 Likes

I was going to say that it doesn’t sound appealing. Maybe tomato with wonderful summertime ones ? But, honestly, why mess with perfection? I’ve considered leaving the lettuce off a BLT.

Hmmmm.
I mean, I think the #19 is weird in that it should be revolting, but it is actually somehow tasty. Not as good as pastrami and mustard, but it’s good.
This cream cheese business is just . . . I can’t get my head around it. The very idea is offending my delicate sensibilities.

And I’ve read that too often a “schmear” winds up being a half inch thick chunk.

I actually can see cream cheese (the slight tart and creamy would go well w/ unctuous and vaguely chewy). I don’t get the tomatoes at all, though.

And, BTW, I f*cking love the #19. Sometimes more is more.

5 Likes

Imma try it.
But I don’t find cream cheese tart enough. That’s my issue with the idea of this sandwich: it seems like it’s screaming for acid.
But it seems like if I’m game to eat milt or goat blood or spleen, I can handle a goy-as-fuck deli sando.

4 Likes

I just don’t get the revulsion with a #19. I guess a purist might be offended by the coleslaw but this combo has been my favorite pretty much all my life. Tolerance, please… tolerance.

3 Likes

The pastrami is the best in the world and the rye bread might be. To me it’s gross to degrade those with average coleslaw and supermarket cheese.

1 Like

Spoken like a true purist.

1 Like

Cole slaw is a wonderful side to accompany an untainted pastrami on rye.

@robert: There is no argument on the rye, but you prefer Langer’s pastrami to Katz?
I’m a SoCal native, but I think Katz’s pastrami is king.

2 Likes

I’ve not had Langer’s but Katz’s is the best I’ve had…so far.

When I went to Katz’s in the 80s I thought it was a step down from Carnegie, but I should revisit.

1 Like

https://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/shipping.html

I’d love an invite to the party :slight_smile:

Carnegie’s not what it was.

Because Koreans do not know how to make Jewish food.

FTFY. You’d think with the obvious similarities between sushi maki and gimbaap it wouldn’t be too difficult to master, but alas… I can tell every time.

David Chang?

1 Like

Same with Katz’s IMHO. Steep drop off from the days of yore without the lines and the Food Media hype. And simply terrible rye bread.

1 Like

I always leave the lettuce off of BLTs, but maybe that’s just me.

Well, that may have BEEN just you but I think I’ll follow your fine example!