Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

I haven’t Katz-ed yet. But I do respect their history and the fact that they make their own pastrami from scratch, controlling and performing each step of preparation. I think that’s rad.

Decades ago, there was a Jewish deli in SF whose specialty was a bacon-and-cream cheese sandwich on rye. Pretty good, actually

2 Likes

Katz’s outsources the smoking.

Interesting!
So they do it all, but the smoke.
Still, Katz’s production is impressive.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami… Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?:

My friend’s pastrami dip:

The roll was soft inside and crispy outside, the pastrami everything everyone said it would be, the dipping sauce was good. I only got two bites. Next time I’m getting my own. Maybe even two.

Egg salad for me:

Best egg salad I’ve had since I can remember. The waiter subtly lifted an eyebrow when I asked for it on rye bread.

My dear son ordered the California Grilled Chicken Sandwich special.

The waiter had a kindly little conversation with him, confirming this is what my son wanted. :). It was, and it was very nicely grilled chicken with lots of crunchy fresh lettuce. A nice representation of California food.

Edit: I forgot I also ordered matzo ball/noodle soup. The broth tastes like it was made with a bouillon cube, but the matzo ball was small and light and the noodles were firm and slippery. I liked it.

I also forgot that I used to have breakfast here fairly often! My friend reminded me it was a meeting spot for friends because most of us were in Hollywood or Echo Park back in those days. I thought it looked familiar when I walked in!

6 Likes

LOVE egg salad sandwiches!!

Not exactly Langers. Still very delicious, squishy white bread and all. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Japanese egg salad is the best. And they use such good white bread.

1 Like

You know it! I have to consciously force myself to slow down and actually take bites. And chew. Otherwise, I’d just Hoover up a sando in two inhales.

The crustless white bread is the bomb. I do think their Kewpie type Mayo also brings a lot to the table.

I sampled a few recently.

7 Likes

I suspect you and I would have a lovely time in Japan together. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even those ubiquitous takeaway sandos from Lawson’s or Doutor Coffee are formidably delectable. Freaking Japan…

Wall o’ Sando. Some department store in Osaka.

Easily have a five course meal comprised of just sandwiches. Heck, ten courses easy.

BLT to start. Katsu as 1st main. Hamburg Steak as secondi. ‘tater salad side. Strawberry w/Cream sandwich for dessert.

May just have to try this next trip. :slight_smile:

Hmmmm… wonder if Osaka sandwiches ate better than Tokyo’s???

7 Likes

Japan takes “X”, and develops X to the point that there becomes a X-ology (where there was no such thing before).

4 Likes

Ebi Filet-O w/ Hashbrown?

8 Likes

Do it! Hajime!

2 Likes

I need a Japanese McD in my life

4 Likes

Tempted to try this next time if I can bare to pass up their rye bread. Lifted an eyebrow? What does the egg salad usually come on?

1 Like

White bread. He was nice about it, simply wanted to confirm my odd request. The rye was divine.

2 Likes

Spectacular array. I remember seeing a tv food travel person (probably a. bourdain) make a special trip to a 7-11 type place in Tokyo specifically for a pre-made refrigerator sandwich. I thought it was just a him thing. Now I see it’s a thing, thing. Awesome.

1 Like

Oh yes, white bread makes sense. I just can’t imagine them being surprised peeps would want anything other than their rye bread. :wink:

For Japanese convenience stores, Lawson’s egg salad sandwich is even better than 7-11’s. It’s impossibly good for something so simple and cheap. Heavenly cloud food.

7 Likes