Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Whoa. Those are way bigger than any pickles I’ve ever gotten at the brick-and-mortar.

Strongly disagree. Maybe you can’t taste it, but there’s a definite difference between the mild, medium, and hot.

3 Likes

Well ipsedixit, been a long time since you sent me to the now mega Mendocino Farms for their long gone chicken salad sandwich that was so good. So based upon your rec, had "THE COUP’ at Trencher’s yesterday. Damn that was good! Better than ‘THE SANDWICH’ at Howlin’ Ray’s? Uh, nope but still really good. Wondering what I should try there next?!

I am still trying to solve the riddle of the 13 herbs & spices…

1 Like

You have seen this right? They even tested the recipe…

I had to leave the CUT discussion, because I was too busy stuffing my face with this!

Country Level

I did it @Chowseeker1999! We ate Howlin’ Ray’s at Howlin’ Ray’s. You knew I would :heart: this level. I’m glad you nudged me, but am spoiled now :weary:.

We also ordered Mild Level (no pictures). This has a sweeter coating as others have noted. I can appreciate it more - now that I have my beloved Country - and will still order it sometimes. Having gone thru Thai & S.Asian DoTM it wasn’t as hot as remembered. I might be ready to go up a level :grimacing:.

Guess what y’all?! We have clout. As busy as they are, Chef Zone and his crew still make time to chat and even pose for pictures. He asked me if it was our first time eating there. I said we’d had it, but not fresh out of the fryer. I told him that a friend :wink: pushed me to eat it there and that we talked a lot about his chicken on FTC. He perked up and said “You’re Food Talk Central?” And immediately started filling up my bag with a cookie, macaroni salad and extra pickles. That’s right baby! Sweet guy.

:poultry_leg: :kissing_closed_eyes:

11 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

YAY! So glad you finally got a chance to experience Howlin’ Ray’s at the restaurant! :blush: I’m glad you liked it.

Level 1 Country is my favorite, and when I feel like mixing it up Level 3 Medium. They’ve toned down their Level 2 Mild to be just a little tickle of heat at this point (and some sweetness). :wink:

Isn’t Chef Zone the nicest? Really classy and personable. Making the customer the top priority.

2 Likes

Hah! Okay, they’ve toned it down a bit. I thought I had become a spice badass.

Yes, there is no faking. Chef Zone is a true restaurateur. And his food backs up the hype.

1 Like

It must be your great smile, 'cuz whenever I’ve said that to them, they just automatically add 2 levels of spicy to my existing order. From FTC to FML…

7 Likes

LOL! :smile:

1 Like

That literally made me LOL!

Oh and next time, ask Chef Zone for Fried Pickles (complimentary) and experience crispy, tart deliciousness. :slight_smile: And their Collard Greens are amazing!

When I was a kid we lived next door to a family of Memphis transplants. The wife swore she had figured out 7 of KFC’s 11 herbs and spices. I remember thinking that was such a big deal :blush:.

Hi !

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:373, topic:3186”]
Oh and next time, ask Chef Zone for Fried Pickles (complimentary) and experience crispy, tart deliciousness. :slight_smile: And their Collard Greens are amazing!
[/quote]Absolutely about those fried pickles. I saw your report after we went. We did actually get the greens & slaw. We were so focused on the chicken - and of course, french fries are so filling - that we brought everything else home. It’s okay to take sides home, right :grin:? Maple Block’s slaw is still my reigning favorite, but we’ll see. I’m going to make some creations with the sides… and that tub o’ pickles.

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Ah! So you didn’t even get a chance to take a bite of the Collard Greens on your visit? :smile: I understand though, it can be filling (especially with the fries).

1 Like

I took a couple bites and it was so good I decided to put it back and take a picture. Should have known a Howlin’ Ray’s cookie wouldn’t be treated as an afterthought. It is thin and chewy with the right amount of salt to offset the sweet, which I love.

Okay so, I did take a bite of collard greens while there. But guess what? They were even better today. They had a chance to marinate in the pot liquor. :kissing_closed_eyes:

…And don’t get upset (just kiddin’). But we did take a couple pieces of chicken home. It is even good cold the next day, especially the Country Level. Remember, southerners do take cold fried chicken to picnics :wink:.

Thanks!

7 Likes

Oh yeah… we sat next to three junior seekers (2 girls & a guy), eating and analyzing their rice bowls from Chego. They wanted ice cream next, but had eaten every flavor Scoops had to offer several times and wanted something new. They debated whether or not to go try Ice Cream Lab in Little Tokyo or go home and finish studying. 2 against 1… ice cream won.

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Oh one more tip: Next time, ask Chef Zone to deep fry the cookie! It is magnificent! :blush: Then we’d get some Inception-level stuff with TheCookie eating a Cookie. :grin:

Glad you liked the Collard Greens. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One of the great pleasures in all of chickendom…

2 Likes

Haha

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:379, topic:3186”]
Then we’d get some Inception-level stuff with TheCookie eating a Cookie. :grin:
[/quote]Well… I do love cookies :blush:.

1 Like

It’s on my last meal list: a cold chicken plate with pâtés, cheeses, etc.