Lucques by Suzanne Goin

Deserves its own topic.

Suzanne Goin is a goddess and it’s interesting how this place flies below the radar. Got a same day rezzy last night. Maybe because it has been around for a long time and we are a hype driven city but…

Total agreement with J Giggy on its superiority over AOC. We lived across the street for a decade and didn’t go nearly enough.

Great wine list. Maybe best short rib in town. Can’t stop thinking about the bread. Sourdough starter, whole wheat, insane crusting. Didn’t get to snap a pic of the duck but it was quite good

Le Tartare

Les Shortribs

Have you tried the short rib at the re-invented Wilshire Restaurant? I thought it was divine.

I’ve been to Lucques 2-3 times. Thought it was very good on the first visit and merely above average on the other visits. Thought AOC was very good on my first visit (many yrs ago) and thought it bordered on mind-blowing on the last visit a few mos ago. BTW the 2 and w/ my limited experience, I prefer the taste at AOC. I cannot comment on the cooking technique needed for either cuisine.

We all have our tastes. AOC was unremarkable for me though obviously a quality place I look forward to going back to.

Will try the other suggestion

I had an awful experience at Lucques when I took my favorite sister-in-law for a birthday dinner a few years ago, so it is permanently off my list.

AOC has fabulous salads, very seasonal and interesting. I’ve never had dinner there, but it’s a very pretty space for lunch.

That’s shocking to read, I can’t imagine what may have happened

Service issues. Food was fine.

Yikes. Hope you contacted them afterward to let them know. I assume they would take such a complaint very seriously b/c the service I’ve received at all of her restaurants has always been exemplary.

Goin has spread herself too thin these days.

She needs to keep a tighter rein on Mercedes Rojas, the chef de cuisine at Lucques.

In many ways, Lucques reminds me of Melisse. A great restaurant that time has passed by.

Agree that Goin has spread herself too thin, given her contract with Hollywood Bowl, etc. However, still think that Lucques is great restaurant. Focus now on Lucques, Aoc. Tavern is the one which has seriously suffered. Larder at Tavern is now not even an option any longer as the food and service are so tired. Have great respect for Styne and Goin and what they do for the Alex Loves Lemonade Foundation.

I’m happy not to know these things as our annual visits have always been fun and delicious. I’ll try to stay in bliss until something pisses me off too