Opening Alert: Northern Cafe Beverly Center

It’s about time there’s a Mainland option besides the Chinese food trucks.

1 Like

Posted this to the wrong thread but the system isn’t letting me repost it to the right one, so I’ll just leave it here.

1 Like

Maybe @ipsedixit or @robert could move it for you?

I don’t think it’s possible to move a post from one thread to another.

Trying to post the same thing to two topics probably triggers the spam filter. You should be able to copy its contents, delete it, and post it to the right thread.

2 Likes

Ah I guess I’m unfamiliar with dry hot pots - I didn’t get a picture, but if I recall, there was corn, sausage, shrimp, fish balls, calamari, and maybe a couple other things? The bacon stuck out to me because it wasn’t crispy but kind of limp, and it just tasted like regular American bacon. Chinese hams or braised pork belly probably would’ve worked better with everything else.

Moved for you.

You can find the relocated post here.

1 Like

Thanks ipse, much appreciated.

Tried that but the spam filter still caught it. Probably didn’t wait long enough, though.

That is a crazy and random selection of hot pot ingredients - like a mashup of a Boiling Crab dish and a hot pot.

@ipsedixit i rode my bike down Figueroa Just to see where it would be and I didn’t even see a vacancy for them to move into.

Note that there doesn’t have to be a vacancy per se–you can buy an existing location. There are real estate and other brokers who deal in restaurant listings, which often contain the caveat not to disturb the existing operations because the employees don’t know the place is for sale.

The sign is already up.

They are on Fig and 28th (I think). Right next to that Panda Express on Fig.

Looks like they’d be open in a week or so.

2 Likes

Ok we went down Fig on our way home. It’s in the old Wokano space on the east side of the street. The sign is up and the interior is in good shape. I think it’ll be more than a week but still very soon.

Wow, Wokcano didn’t last long there…

The sign that says, “Wokano open” is still up!!

Hit the Beverly location with my girlfriend yesterday and it REALLY hit the spot.

-Juicy Pork Dumplings
-Fried Shrimp, pork, egg, chive dumpling
-Lao Gan Ma Fried Noodles
-Sauteed Eggplant

Not quite SGV status, but man this was good. The Eggplant and the pork dumplings were very very good. Going to be coming back a lot more (doesn’t hurt I live down the street).

Anyone try the Spicy Pot there? Worth it to get?

4 Likes

Or you could carry a little jar of Sichuan peppercorns with you when going to certain restaurants. Or even a little container of chili crisp. Works for me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:joy::sweat_smile::rofl:

Thanks! That’s our hood and I really dont like waiting in the pine and crane line

I do this all the time with takeout. The benefit of taking the food to go is the Sichuan peppercorn is a little tricky to work with. You’re actually using just the husk (the berry is gritty like sand) and it can be a little chewy unless cooked.

I like to toast the husks in a wok (taking care to remove any berries) and grind them in a mortar & pestle. The resulting powder can be sprinkled over your takeout or stir fry. I keep a tiny tupperware container of it, though it loses flavor pretty quickly.

I didn’t know they lose flavor quickly. Thanks for the tip, I’ll stop pregrinding them.