Otoño - Highland Park

For some serving suggestions

7 Likes

OKAY, so that only looks a tiny (read: completely different) than how I had tried them. And now the Matiz crackers totally make sense, too (when I had first tried them, I was like, “WTF do I eat this w/???”).

Thank you so much for the link! Love the directions for one of the tapas:

Directions

1. Unnecessary. Put the above ingredients together, as pictured.

Back to thread. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good canned tuna/sardines/mackerel etc. on a bowl of steamed white rice. Maybe a little furikake or chopped negi and/or shoyu. Lunch is served.

7 Likes

Just ran across this on IG! A whole book on cooking with canned seafood

5 Likes

Cool! Will have to put that on a wish list for a b-day. :wink: (@SpockSpork)

3 Likes

Warrior:

This restaurant is better than ____________. Pijja Palace, Langer’s, Mandolin Taverna.

This restaurant is worse than ____________. Botanica, Manuela.

Peony:

This restaurant is very similar in quality to ____________. Botanica.

1 Like

my guy you are such a troll keep langer’s name out your mouth lol.

4 Likes

That crudite bowl looks like it contains some raw things that aren’t very appealing unless you cook them.

1 Like

How the hell are you even choosing restaurants for comparison? Are you just pulling names out of hats? It sounds totally random and entirely unhelpful. Why not compare Ontoño to other Spanish (okay, I know they are few, but they exist) or Spanish-adjacent restaurants? Langer’s? Jesus.

7 Likes

Thank you for your input! I’m sorry you didn’t like our comparisons.

Honestly, we don’t often go out to restaurants we like worse than Otoño so we didn’t have many restaurants to choose from when making our comparisons. We definitely do get lots of deliveries we like worse.

To be clear, Otoño is a pretty good place, and I’m sure we will go back. Our main gripe last night is the paella was over salted. They have a nice Spanish wine list.

I’ve been thinking about using a number system to rate restaurants. Something like this:

1. I wouldn’t eat it even if I hadn’t eaten all day.
  2. Chipotle, [restaurant not to be named]
  3. Pijja Palace, Mandolin Taverna, Mariscos Jalisco
  4. Otoño, Botanica, Alta
  5. Rossoblu, Manuela, Bestia, Lalibela, Sichuan Impression, Horses
  6. Majordomo, Holbox, Bavel, Eszett, Gjelina, Mother Wolf
  7. Republique, Les Amis, Bistro Na’s
  8. Osteria Mozza, Kali, Rustic Canyon
  9. Hayato, Providence, Kato
  10. Benu (SF)
  11. TBD

I’ll start using the number system in the future. Again, thanks for the feedback!

I was happy with the crudités themselves, but there was insufficient white bean dip. The salad was forgettable. The paella rice was too salty (the thing that soured us both on our meal last night) and slightly overcooked to my tastes. The squid ink fideua and fluke crudo were pretty good. I wasn’t impressed by the squid ink bread but it was fine.

Haven’t been to Otoño since before COVID, but it was good when we went. The paella negra was lovely.

It is better than Jack-in-the-Box, but worse than Providence, if that helps anyone comparing the three restaurants.

15 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

I happen to love Otono. Been following Teresa since her Racione days. I feel there are dishes that are much stronger than others. I do not love the paellas. In a big group, will order one to have but rarely in a small group. The squid ink bread with goat butter and Boquerones is one of her strongest dishes. Incredible flavor profile. The pan con tomato, potato churros and scallop tartare are other favs. The ribeye is excellent and a bargain for what it is (20 oz Flannery). The menu does get edited to keep it interesting. The wine and bar program are strong. I believe they will be opening a small back area serving tins (keeping up with the trends), not unlike something out of San Sebastián.

4 Likes