Pok Pok LA - No...Just, No

Well, looks like it’s closing its doors:

I still hold the lease on the space and we may try hold some events here in the near future, but daily business will cease.

Based on economics, does that infer he wasn’t making enough money to even recoup his variable costs (e.g. wages, food, alcohol)?

Matt Kang chimes in

2 Likes

I think the article sounds pretty on point, actually. When I briefly lived in Portland Pok Pok was very new and very different from the pad thai / shrimp fried rice / honey bbq ribs standard strip mall fare. But compared to any given block along Hollywood there’s stuff that is simply as good or better at 75% the cost, and more convenient…LA reacted to ‘authentic’ thai by pointing to any of the favorites mentioned in the article, or on this forum, and saying “yeah… and?”

The lack of reply sealed its fate.

2 Likes

I might schlep over to try the Hanoi catfish.

…or you could get the catfish at any number of Vietnamese places in the SGV or down in Orange County. Not meant as a knock on Ricker.

1 Like

the search term you want to plug into yelp is “cha ca thanh long”

1 Like

Sure, but those aren’t a short subway ride away.

Agree with JThur01. The Cha Ca La Vong is not our fave dish at Pok Pok and IMHO is not really done very well anywhere we’ve tried in SoCal at the level of Hanoi or our kitchen.

But we love Pok Pok for a number of reasons and have a heavy :broken_heart:over the announcement. Other than the reasons stated here, the area on this end of Chinatown hasn’t developed fast enough and the space is really large (remember, there’s an upstairs).

The food, in the past, could be uneven, but for the last year the food has been very consistent. Last we ate there a couple of weeks ago, the chef from Brooklyn was in and the food was awesome. We loved it because it was great late night during the week when no one else was open, we could have a great meal with our pup :dog:on the patio, the servers (except one) were terrific, and the drinks were fantastic.

We’ll be there as much as we can before they shutter to eat:

• Midnight Fried Chicken
  • Chicken Wings
  • Kai Yaang
  • Boar Collar (sauce on side or it’ll singe your nose hairs) with iced mustard greens
  • Chiang Mai Herbal Salad
  • Crispy Broken Mussel Crepe/Omelet
  • Grilled Mushroom Salad
2 Likes

Typical Eater paralysis by analysis.

Why did Pok Pok LA shutter? Food. No. Good.

Thanks for the endorsement yo. The food actually was good but we differ on that opinion.

6 Likes

Good point. I neglected that you asked about Uber-able SGV spots. One of many great things about Thai Town is its proximity to the Red Line.

At 8:30, fully booked until 9:45 and the bar was mobbed.

1 Like

They should pull a restaurant 2117 and have a 6 month closing party.

3 Likes

probably so they could say they’d been there, like folks who would like to be able to say that they ate at rakel back in the 80’s.

I’d guess mostly fans of the place wanting a last meal or three.

1 Like

Kris Y. brought his staff the night before. What a classy dude. It seemed a mix last night. Maybe 50/50 regulars to newbies. Waiters were answering lots of questions about menu items to newbies. As usual, the dining room was about 65% Asian. robert, we were there at 8:30pm as well sitting at the end of the row against the window.

Lots of dishes are as good if not better than many trips to Thailand. Though there were a few moments when the food was flat, since June the flavors have been incredibly precise and clean. The food was killer last night. The cocktails (Khing & I and Makruit Lime Gin & Tonic) slays any 213 establishment and were as layered as any drink we’ve had at the Walker Inn.

Would add to Matt’s points that parking could also have been an Achilles heel. It was expensive for the area and clumsy. We’re regulars and we can never remember the rules. The car felt safer on the street if there were ever enough spots.

It was our shelter in the storm. Our late night go to after a failed meal. Always still serving and happy to see you after a late night at the office or a lousy day. The best dog patio in town with the greatest food. Our first stop from LAX after an out of town trip (whether it was Thailand or not). Pok Pok stepped in for us when Spice Table was forced to shutter.

Well, at least we’ll see the gals at Luv2Eat more often. And our check is often higher for food there.

Very thankful to the terrific staff of Pok Pok for their care and feeding of us and always making us feeling like we were home. We were at Pok Pok at the beginning and are honored to have experienced their kindness and amazing food. They’re going out on a high note.

7 Likes

Did the crowd thin out later on?

Now I feel obligated to go and try their Pad Thai, Papaya Salad, and an esoteric seafood dish. And rice.

I think the quality of their ingredients is excellent here. Especially when you compare it to the traditional places, there’s no question about it.

2 Likes