Pok Pok LA - No...Just, No

symptoms are always overdetermined; for every person who has the palate to appreciate the food, there are probably just as many if not more who ‘collect’ restaurants like merit badges. there clearly wasn’t a critical mass of clientele to keep them in business.

1 Like

Had an okay dinner, wings were a little salty, riblets were dry, the boar collar is still excellent but the portion was tiny, catfish salad was okay.

Ike’s Vietnamese Fish Sauce Wings - fresh whole natural chicken wings marinated in fish sauce and sugar, deep fried, tossed in caramelized Vietnamese fish sauce and garlic and served with Cu Cai (pickled vegetables.)

Naem Sii Khrong Muu Thawt - sour cured pork riblets deep-fried and served with a side of cabbage, peanuts, ginger and chiles.

Muu Paa Kham Waan - Boar collar meat rubbed with garlic, coriander root and black pepper, glazed with soy and sugar, grilled over charcoal and served with iced mustard greens.

Portion size from their webpage

Laap Plaa Duuk Yaang Isaan - Spicy Northeastern Thai chopped-to-order smoked catfish salad with lemongrass,galangal, herbs, toasted rice powder, dried chilies, lime juice and fish sauce. Served with phak sot.

4 Likes

We left after 10pm. Not an empty table with peeps waiting for ours.

Agree. The riblets and catfish salad not their strongest dishes.

No pad thai here. And don’t know of an esoteric seafood dish. Frankly, all the chicken dishes are stronger.

You’re right. Mixing them up with Luv2eat and Night+Market re pad thai.

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Our visit mirrored yours and that’s the general problem: Like you, the vaunted chicken wings turned out too salty, the boar collar was tasty but also a similar tiny portion like your visit, and the other 2 dishes were just “OK.” We had 1 drink, add in the steep price hike compared to most other good Thai restaurants around town, and we left slightly hungry and it ran $105 for 2 people.

1 Like

ouch.

i honestly don’t see how they’d expect to average $50+ a cover times 200 seats times how many seatings a night even just four nights a week - in chinatown. unless they hoped to sell a lot of alcohol, maybe.

@PorkyBelly. Are they serving the food on melamine plates?

Yep

Lol, eff that.

Why do people hate melamine plates?

Because it’s plastic?

Or maybe because it’s supposedly toxic plastic?

But whatever, it just reminds me of being served like a person is a 2-year old toddler.

4 Likes

Fair enough haha

**#**ToxicPlasticHipsterChic I guess lol

Or the entire friggin’ food court / hawker stall scene of Singapore.

Or time-warped into a Brady Brunch episode.

Yah, but I’m pretty sure you’re not paying $15 for six chicken wings on the streets of Bangkok. Like I said, eff that.

And they don’t use plastic plates in actual restaurants in Thailand either.

And @Aesthete, stop projecting. I’m not scared of plastic, it’s just cheap and ugly.

I never mentioned Thailand. I was talking about street stalls in Singapore, where they indeed use melamine plates.

I didn’t say I liked the practice - Just that it is done in other parts of the world, and quite pervasively at that.

3 Likes

What was I projecting?..

I was just curious why people hated the plates particularly.

That’s making an assumption, not asking why people “hate” plastic.

1 Like