Porridge + Puffs

Now serving p+p for dinner

kabocha squash, chrysanthemum greens, coconut curry
Squash was cut thin like chips so the edges were nice and crispy, coconut curry had a nice heat. Very good.

asian herb slaw - rau ram, shiso, holy basil, peanuts, sesame
Like a meatless vietnamese goi. Not bad, wish there was some kind of protein option and some fried shallots.

spoon
Didn’t enjoy the spoon, the depth of the spoon bowl and the thin edges, really made it uncomfortable to eat out of.

poultry + mushroom - sweet soy braised chicken, turkey, mushrooms, crispy shallots, celery pickles, seasonal edible flowers, mirepoix, rice porridge, hibiscus-shiso pickled soft egg
My favorite of the night, so much umami. The turkey and mushroom mixture reminded me of a banh cuon filling. Egg was perfect. So comforting it’ll make you want to eat this in bed with your onesie on while binge watching the great british baking show on netflix.

yakimiso + sausage - grilled black eyed pea miso, green apple, ginger, aromatics, numbing spice braised pork sausage, fennel in black bean sauce, rose-geranium onion and celery pickles, edible flowers, negi rice porridge
The grilled black eyed pea miso was nice and earthy and the sausage reminded me of bacon bits, in a good way.

naked puffs

brown butter mochi, miso caramel
Loved this, crispy edges with a custard-y center, almost like a canele.

no toto

Porridge + Puffs
2801 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90057
(213) 908-5313

looks like you can get your samphire fix here without having to go to vespertine.

latimes.com

Porridge + Puffs
2801 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90057
(213) 908-5313

3 Likes

I loved her porridge when she was next to the Hollywood Farmer’s market. Too bad they’re only open for lunch.
Here’s a pic of my favorite one, the Chicken + mushroom

2 Likes

I’ve been to their new brick and mortar location now, twice. It’s still a work in progress, but the food is just as good as before.

2 Likes

Just had lunch there. Just loves how she can morph something so common and homey in so many cultures into something elevates it into something unique and interesting. Comforts of home, but a creativity of a chef. It’s Creativity that’s thoughtful as well as delicious.

Nicely charred eggplant, love the combination of zest and fried lime leaf.

slaw, nice and light. Black sesame is interest touch.

image image

Three porridges: chicken and mushroom, Yakimiso sausage, both delicious, but the last was most creative and interesting—pennywort, fried water spinach, and fried Amaranth flowers.

As someone who makes porridge all the time, I’m amazed. she’s Clearly put much more thought into this than I can ever imagine possible. So unique and nothing like this anywhere.

Still in soft opening—puffs came out as we were eating the porridge. Came also with sweet dipping sauces—didn’t know if we should have dipped in the porridge like Chinese donuts, or dip in sauces as desert. Texture is Mochi chewy, but puffed with slight crisp like combination of Vietnamese banh cam and banh tieu.

Browned butter Mochi. So simple, yet delicious. She’s a master of all things Mochi.

A winner—can’t wait till she expands for brunch and
dinner.

10 Likes

Tried to go for lunch today but they were closed because they were training staff.

The good news is dinner service starts November 1st.

Now serving p+p for dinner

kabocha squash, chrysanthemum greens, coconut curry
Squash was cut thin like chips so the edges were nice and crispy, coconut curry had a nice heat. Very good.

asian herb slaw - rau ram, shiso, holy basil, peanuts, sesame
Like a meatless vietnamese goi. Not bad, wish there was some kind of protein option and some fried shallots.

spoon
Didn’t enjoy the spoon, the depth of the spoon bowl and the thin edges, really made it uncomfortable to eat out of.

poultry + mushroom - sweet soy braised chicken, turkey, mushrooms, crispy shallots, celery pickles, seasonal edible flowers, mirepoix, rice porridge, hibiscus-shiso pickled soft egg
My favorite of the night, so much umami. The turkey and mushroom mixture reminded me of a banh cuon filling. Egg was perfect. So comforting it’ll make you want to eat this in bed with your onesie on while binge watching the great british baking show on netflix.

yakimiso + sausage - grilled black eyed pea miso, green apple, ginger, aromatics, numbing spice braised pork sausage, fennel in black bean sauce, rose-geranium onion and celery pickles, edible flowers, negi rice porridge
The grilled black eyed pea miso was nice and earthy and the sausage reminded me of bacon bits, in a good way.

naked puffs

brown butter mochi, miso caramel
Loved this, crispy edges with a custard-y center, almost like a canele.

no toto

Porridge + Puffs
2801 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90057
(213) 908-5313

7 Likes

I was there on Thursday, i don"t remember the Kobacha squash being on the menu yet. I guess i gotta head back.
I love that place and my favorite is also the Poultry and mushroom

2 Likes

The Pickles and Jam is the fucking bomb.com

1 Like

i’ll try that next time i’m there

chef minh must have introduced it on friday then.

1 Like
5 Likes

that picture of the eggs in the porridge bown… da-yum

1 Like

Loved my first meal at Porridge + Puffs. No wait during Sunday brunch yesterday (which happened to be Father’s Day). My mom and I split the beets and greens dish. Sweet and earthy, the dish featured steamed beets, carrots, green beans, kumquats, and sprouts/leafy greens.

My main was the mushroom and seaweed porridge. Meatiness from the mushrooms, salinity from the seaweed, crunch from the fried shallots, sweetness from the kumquats, freshness from the sprouts, richness from the oil (sesame?), and creaminess and chew from the porridge. Flavor bomb for sure, and quite rich.

Browned butter mochi to finish. Soaked in butter :star_struck:

I felt prices were very reasonable. I haven’t experienced food at this level of refinement in quite awhile (I blame living in a college town), and the fact that this food is financially within reach for many is quite exceptional.

Nice open space (we sat at the communal table) and informed service. Thanks @hppzz for the outstanding recommendation.

9 Likes

so glad you enjoyed! chef minh has a substantial fine dining background and her time foraging in the netherlands and love for fermentation shows in much of her cooking…deceptively simple yet complex dishes!

3 Likes

I have nothing to add about the food, the few items I’ve had were delicious and flavors were balanced. I will say that the love and care that Chef Minh puts into the food along with her hospitality is unique for Los Angeles. I think she’s a visionary and I hope her conscious cooking and simple decor sparks a trend in food.

5 Likes

It looks delicious. Definitely what I’ll be ordering.

1 Like

I think that means you like it. :slight_smile: Me too! The egg in @Hungrydrunk’s looks perfect too. And those beets & kumquats @chinchi! Great pictures.

1 Like

that was my favorite and don’t forget the brown butter mochi.

2 Likes

I am definitely not forgetting that. :blush:

1 Like

Hi @hppzz -

I keep reading words like “creative, complex, inventive, interesting” about this dish, but what about “delicious”? Did you like it? :slightly_smiling_face: