PSA for Hot Chicken in the South Bay

Putting in a PSA for the South Bay folks. There is a pop-up Nashville style hot chicken shop called Blazin’ Hens inside the Slider Stop on Artesia in Redondo Beach. It’s good enough to make you think long and hard about trekking to downtown for Howlin’ Rays. They are doing it right: crackling skin, good heat, piece of white bread and some pickles. I got the medium and the hot and while the hot did get me sweating, there was less of the umami bomb from Howlin’ Rays and more straight heat. I’m not a huge fan of ass burning heat so I won’t comment on how hot it gets, but the menu does list a “Blazin’” featuring Carolina Reaper peppers.

6 Likes

Thank you for the report. I’ve had this bookmarked for a while and have wondered.

1 Like

Hit this place the other day. Concur with the overall assessment. I got the 2nd highest level heat, Trinidad and it didn’t blow me away, just a nice tingle. I have an above average tolerance but am not a chili head. Will try the Reaper next time.

I liked how juicy it was. I go the leg/thigh quarter. Recommend ordering ahead online since they cook to order and it can take up to 30-40 minutes. Protip: when ordering online, default is pickup. If you want to eat there, put in special instruction notes.

The sliders are ok, not really worth a trip. Out of all the different tots, the garlic tots are the best.

Oh, they do fried chicken sandwiches too, but I’m not a fan of white meat and didn’t try.

4 Likes