Quick Chicago trip over July 4th

Stayed with sister and bro-in-law in Wilmette and to say they are ambivalent about food would be to exaggerate their level of interest so not a lot of opportunity.

Bangers & Lace, Evanston, IL: Brew pub. Nice beer selections and very good duck sausage BLT. Fried cheese curds and fried pickles were excellent.

Bohemian House, Chicago, IL: Brunch. Open face pork schnitzel sandwich, Bavarian pancakes. Schnitzel was giant, nice rustic mustard, good sauerkraut, nice flavors but the pork was really tough. Bavarian pancakes stuffed with farmer’s cheese was way too sweet. Decent cocktail with mescal. Campari and prosecco, but they apparently made the wrong cocktail then had to start over so it took forever. Daughter’s guava lemonade was great. Maybe you aren’t getting their A-team at brunch.

Chicago dog, random kiosk near Navy Pier: Love these.

Smoque BBQ, Revival Food Hall: Sliced brisket sandwich, side of candied jalapenos. Excellent – this is the real deal, slightly smoky, moist, tender. I’d skip the bun and just get a half-pound of brisket next time.

Lou Malnati’s deep-dish pizza: I had them before, but I don’t know, I didn’t really dig this. I wanted to try Pequods but couldn’t rally the troops. One cheese and one sausage, onion and peppers. The ingredients seem really low quality and the sausage layer on the bottom is kind of odd since it doesn’t get to crisp at all, so it’s like soggy sausage. The buttery crust tasted off, like really cheap butter. I’d take Little Star/Blue Line in SF any day of the week over this.

Tortas Frontera, O’Hare: Cochinita pibil torta – so good. I always save room for one of these on the flight out, probably the best airport food I can think of.

[Can a Chicago board be created?]

2 Likes

@robert

1 Like

Done.

3 Likes