Salt & Straw - Best Ice Cream in LA

I personally find a lot of salt and straw flavors seem to run on the too sweet side.

Jenis has some sweet flavors and also a lot of fruit/milder flavors and usually all of them have the right balance and the texture is better.

2 Likes

I’m a sweet rose die hard. Their fruit flavors - especially stone fruits during the summer - are able to encapsulate the concentrated flavor of the fruit better than any other ice cream shop i’ve ever been to.

I find salt & straw to be fine, but almost too “creative” with the flavors.

Texture. My limited experience with S&S just feels like ice cream with a lot of chunky stuff in it.

2 Likes

I would vote Osteria Mozza best ice cream / gelato in LA. But Salt & Straw would be second for me.

1 Like

That would be an excellent bang-bang. Unfortunately the Win-Dow on Rose is only open until 5pm. The location on the Venice Boardwalk was open later, but it never came back after the fire earlier this year.

1 Like

Yeah I noticed the Venice window wasn’t back when I went to Ggiatta for a sandy a few weeks back. We did a lot of the window for lunch during the pandemic but now I’m not doing big calorie lunches as I continue to work off my pandemic poundage.

2 Likes

I like Kansha and LB Creamery. I haven’t had Wanderlust in a while but on paper I like all of those flavors in my head or at least the inspiration.

Kansha closes pretty damn early and LB Creamery is in the smallest plaza. Hey you make sacrifices.

If I had it my way my freezer would consist of Kansha Ice Cream, chocolate malted krunch from Thriftys, dumplings, and trader joes scallion pancakes and beef broc (LMAO don’t judge).

I had the olive oil ice cream at Salt N Straw and I actually liked it.

4 Likes

For ice cream from a storefront (or grocery store), I’m a Jeni’s guy. I appreciate Salt & Straw, but I just don’t think their flavors consistently beat out Jeni’s.

That said, my favorite ice cream in the LA area these days is the malted cookies & cream from Pints Creamery (https://www.instagram.com/mypintscreamery/). It’s more or less Oreos in ice cream form.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Just slid into the DMs.

2 Likes

Yeah olive oil is probably Salt & Straw’s best flavor. Olive oil works amazingly well with a surprising range of stuff, like ice cream and chocolate.

I personally find it insane 90% of these ice cream places don’t give you the option to put on toppings like Coldstone does

1 Like

Isn’t that a good thing - why spending a lot of money on ice cream to cover the flavors with toppings. Coldstone is doing it because their ice cream is really crappy

3 Likes

Kansha is great. I hardly ever go to Torrance now that Monkish opened in Anaheim. Whenever I do Kansha is a must along with the chestnut place in the same plaza as Wadatsumi.

For my Asian flavor ice cream fix I’ll hit up the soft serve place in Mitsuwa CM. Love that black sesame, hojicha and matcha. So good.

5 Likes

I love that soft serve place in Costa Mesa Mitsuwa I usually get that after getting some beef tongue.

3 Likes

no? Most ice creams can benefit from some M&M’s, mini Reeces, sprinkles etc…

I’m in the purist camp on this one. Excellent ice cream stands on its own.

3 Likes

I eat ice cream for the flavor of the ice cream and so prefer those which use high quality ingredients and in that case any additional toppings would be a distraction

2 Likes

Sweet Rose Creamery’s got it the goods

4 Likes

Those TJ scallion pancakes are no joke. Perfect snack for the kids! And they are damn tasty.

4 Likes

omg
perfection

1 Like