Salt & Straw - Best Ice Cream in LA

I know! They’ll be bookending the area!

I have not been a huge fan of Salt and Straw the few times I’ve had it, so for me the winner is clear…

2 Likes

Jenis splendid > salt and straw!

2 Likes

I still have never tried Jeni’s! Is it something I can get in a single scoop from somewhere? I am not a huge sweets fan, period, so the idea of spending $$$ for a pint (or 1/2 pint or whatever the smallest size in the market is) is… unappealing (even for ice cream I do like).

1 Like

There is a Jeni’s on Hillhurst and another on Larchmont

2 Likes

Yeah there’s one in larchmont, bev hills, and a couple on west side

1 Like

jeni’s > salt and straw for sure!!! and bonus is that it doesn’t smell sickeningly sweet when you walk by.

3 Likes

Sounds like I’m the only one left who is willing to say they love Salt and Straw better than most specialty ice cream in LA. The texture of their ice cream is really great most of their odd flavors work, they are so patient about letting you try things and their is always something I love.

Will probably end up at Sweet Rose Creamery more often because I really do prefer to support local. Just wish they were a little more adventurous with their flavors

4 Likes

I think partner enjoys S&S more than he does Sweet Rose. So you are not alone.

But he likes Ben & Jerry’s the best. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where is there a Ben and Jerry’s! Haven’t had them from a scoop shop in i don’t know how long

You’re not alone. Sea Salt with Carmel Ribbons is the best ice cream in town.

Oh, sorry, I meant his fav is getting Ben and Jerry’s from the supermarket. :slight_smile:

Although, when I checked the website, there is apparently a scoop shop in Beverly Hills and 2 in Sherman Oaks.

I started this thread 7 years ago and I stand by this statement. I love all ice creams, soft serve and gelato but I love Salt N Straw the most in LA. The waffle cones are delicious. A double scoop of ooey gooey chocolate brownie and salted caramel is my go to.

The seasonal fruit flavors and corn ice cream at Sweet Rose are delicious. I put these in a different class than chocolate or vanilla based ice cream.

When I was last in Florence I was averaging 2.5/3 gelato trips per day. I’d get one right around opening, one mid day and one after dinner.

7 Likes

i enjoy awan when I identify as vegan

3 Likes

I definitely feel like S&S is next level Ben & Jerry’s. As someone who does not like B&J, S&S did nothing for me.

1 Like

In my book Kansha Creamery currently reigns supreme.

L to R: Black Metal (dark Brazilian chocolate), Ramune, white sesame, and note the precision reproducibility of the scooping technique here

(The Ramune especially rocked…)

7 Likes

I like Persian desserts in general, but the Westwood location of Mashti Malone is really off with their carrageenan content in their bastani. Just way, WAY too gummy for my taste…

I thought you lived in Santa Monica? There’s a Jeni’s in Venice right on Rose Avenue. You can go do a bang bang with the Win-Dow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In terms of flavor, texture, or both? If it’s the latter, then I assume B&J’s will do nothing for me, either (and it prob explains why partner likes S&S).

Brentwood. Heading west to eat in the evening is generally easier than heading east. :wink:

Maybe I’ll skip the ice cream and just have the burger! :smiley:

1 Like

Jeni’s is outstanding. We have a scoop shop over here in Old Town Alexandria VA but since that’s kind of a hike for me, I load up on pints when they are on sale at Harris-Teeter… and Graeter’s is not also on sale. Mmmmmm Graeter’s.

3 Likes

I used to enjoy Salt + Straw a lot. I personally think their quality has gone downhill with all the expansion and the “weird” flavors aren’t as unique in the current food landscape as they once were.

For childhood nostalgia Fosselman’s in Alhambra will always be my #1 and I think their ice cream is amazing.
For when I want something a little more fancy I like the new Bacio Di Latte in Larchmont

2 Likes