SD Day Trippin - Day trips from San Diego with Delicious Food and Fun Activities

All those gorgeous paintings by Marjorie Reed are housed in the James Copley library in LJ…
The Butterfield Stage Coach is a stunning art works that I always wanted to sit by in the dining room…so many classic beauties at the resort when the Copley’s owned LCdZ…

She is a fantastic artist.
:art:

Stayed last year at the resort and food and drink were as good as evah. .

This from Drudge yesterday. . .

www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/03/08/this-park-in-the-desert-southwest-is-experiencing-a-wildflower-superbloom/?utm_term=.d7e5a427cbe7

Going this weekend with friends and looking forward to lunch at Ram’s Hill Resort and after a long hike, hitting up the hot springs…
Woooo Hooooo!
:cactus::blossom::dark_sunglasses:

Craving their jalapeno cheese bread…
Every time we go by, it’s always 5 minutes after closing…dang!

Jeremy’s on the Hill in Wynola/Julian is excellent too…

Things are different, but I personally like the ambience post-renovations. The restaurant got off to a slow start right after the re-opening (according to a relative who lives in Borrego), but it picked up and the food is pretty good there once again – so I’m told. I myself haven’t eaten there since the changes; just martinis in the bar!

We were in Borrego Springs yesterday and this morning, and the wildflowers were indeed exceptional. But, you’ve got to know where to look. Far and away the best area was inside a gated (but open) rancho area, along both sides of Horse Camp Road. One just needs to be respectful. Another place to look is along Henderson Canyon Rd, east of Di Giorgio Road.

The cactus flowers were just getting ready to bloom, some with a few flowers on them. Maybe by this weekend there will be many in bloom. So we missed that. But it’s mostly one or the other. The wildflowers come and then fade, and the cactus flowers come and fade. There’s a time offset, and the two overlap for only a brief period. Maybe you’ll be there in the lucky overlap!

We planned to, but didn’t make it to Ram’s Hill this time. Darn…

1 Like

Went out on Saturday morning and took the Ranchita drop down into Borrego…holy crap, everyone and their mother was going to see the ‘wildflowers’ (locals call them weeds).
Had lunch reservations at Rams Hill Country Club and it was packed…gorgeous golf course setting outside table…course is pristine and lovely place.
Had drinks and burgers…all were incredibly good and I can’t believe I ate a cheeseburger but it was excellent with the freshly ground meat on brioche bun and really good fries too.

The head Chef is an old friend from La Jolla days…A lot of La Jollan’s back in the 60- 70’s had second homes in Warner Springs or Borrego Springs…

Headed out to Agua Caliente Hot Springs and this is NOT what I remember back before electricity when the hot springs were in the boulders with palm trees and such…
This was like a CaddyShack movie but I got in with all the kids for 15+ minutes…it was a riot.

Wildflowers were lovely and it was a nice day trip down to Borrego Springs.

:blossom:

1 Like

Did you spend the night Charlie?
:unicorn:

Yes. We got into Borrego Springs around noon on Wednesday to visit a relative who lives there. She gave us a wildflower tour and cooked dinner, and we stayed overnight at her place. Thursday morning we did some more wildflower viewing, and although we’d planned to go to Ram’s Hill for a late lunch, the timing didn’t work out.

1 Like