September 2018 Weekend Rundown

Checked out Chinchinkiri for Hiroshima-style okanomiyaki in Little Tokyo. We were at the counter so we got entertainment with lunch. We had the Basil & Cheese, the house special with beef, and the Ika Ika (squid). It was cool to try a different style…I find that I loved the crispy noodles…and the cabbage really retains the heat…dig in with caution!

3 Likes

Happy belated Labor Day from Donut Man.

Happened to be in the area right when they opened back up after being closed for the holiday weekend. If you’re within 10miles, it is mandatory to stop, right? Not pictured is the tiger’s tail that was fresh as daisies out of the oven omg

(For the record, I probably agree that peach is the promiseland, but the donut on this strawberry parade was much better than my first go.)

10 Likes

I think I want that on my gravestone.

Also, I have never managed to make it to The Donut Man when the peach donuts were in season. (Perhaps this belongs on the confessions thread?)

I immediately pictured a bunch of daisies woven into a circlet, then baked until crispy and wondered at the appeal. I’m still short on sleep and now want both a fresh tiger’s tail AND a peach donut.

2 Likes

This eggplant caper hummus at Lido Bottle Works in racist ass Newport Beach was phenomenal

2 Likes

IMG_20180824_115343371

One last lunch at the Crab Cooker in Newport Beach before they demolish and rebuild. Scallops with bacon, Romano potatoes and cole slaw

2 Likes

lemons :lemon::lemon:
20180908_130804

4 Likes

Adam says: " When life hands you lemons, you serve those to customers and charge $15 per half lemon."

6 Likes

APL at ALS
Great day

2 Likes

Still dreaming of:
Cassia’s Orange Chicken
Evan Funke’s focaccia and strachitella
David Lefevre’s mini Moule Frites

1 Like

Such a great event, as always. Tons of great food and booze, and all for a righteous cause. An awesome day.

20180908_213906
Late night taco run at Carnitas El Momo.

20180908_214630
Carnitas, buche, chicharron

20180908_215342
Gorgeous AF

20180909_103505
You really can’t beat a fine dining experience.

8 Likes

Avec’s Squid with Melon was killer too.

1 Like

Gyutan Tsukasa
As always very tasty. Wasn’t in the mood for some ramen at Santouka

Wagyu Meat and Grill
Underrated. As far as quality goes for fast casual meals this is one of the best.

101 Noodle Express
Nice snack!

Trieu Chau
image image image
The siu mai with breadstick is a MUST get here. No oil and very faint hint of sweet on the stick just goes so well with the siu mai. As always the noodle soups are on point. I stopped putting the sacha sauce into it and less pickled chiles to enjoy that pork bone broth.

5 Likes

Ugly Drum

This is just as good as Langers imo. Not too much interested me besides Ugly Drum. I saw a New Haven style pizza but the lack of customers concerned me that it is not even close to Frank Pepe’s. I’ve had Burritos Las Palmas already. I wish I tried Pop’s Bagels and I freakin forgot to get ice cream at Wanderlust. Got a young coconut to drink/eat at White Guy Pad Thai. My friend got the raclette at Cheezus, that was actually pretty tasty tbh. As always good people watching.

But I highly recommend Ugly Drum!!

2 Likes

Speaking of Langers image

Providence had some white truffles in already and based off what I had, I believe this season is going to be great image

9 Likes

Double Double at Majordomo. Domo!

11 Likes

How is Providence this year? I’ve always had great experiences there but had a spectacular 3 *** meal (IMO) there early 2016 but back to 2 ** last year.

Thriftys Chocolate Malted Krunch. One of my personal favorite ice cream flavors of all time.

image image
Mitsuwa. Made a soup out of this. Added some daikon and ginger. With rice this can really stretch out multiple meals.

6 Likes

This visit was actually one of my favorites I was kinda shocked tbh. I also went in June of this year and thought it was just ok. Favorite time I went was probably sometime in winter 2011 or this visit actually. Chefs tasting menu is the only way to go if you want to full experience Providence, it’s just that I don’t always have 4 hours to spare for dinner.

1 Like

I will forever and always have a wonderful tingle that runs through me whenever I see the cylindrical scoop. :smiley:

4 Likes