Simple, Homely Grandma's Cooking - If Your Grandma was from Japan - Fukuno (Review)

duplicate

8 Likes

Very nice review as usual. This couple is like the grandparents many grand kids wished they had setting up in the kitchen! Battera is one of my favorite sushi for reasons that you mentioned.

If for any other reason to go, it’s the fact that these old school humble roots places typically have no next generation to pass on the business to. Once they decide to close shop, one most likely will have a very hard time finding a similar experience elsewhere.

3 Likes

This place is more OG kappo than Shibumi could ever hope to be.

Battera madness: Try it at Morinoya. Mori-san does right by the Osaka-style…

4 Likes

Was there more soups/stews/slow cooked dishes on the menu?

Is there anywhere else in LA/OC that does this home style cooking?

We were at Morinoya a couple weekends ago and did enjoy Mori-san’s battera. Morinoya is a great place for food in general.

Glad you liked it. We really did as well.

1 Like

Hi @bulavinaka,

Thanks. Great thoughts, and I think I’m sad thinking about how this place is will be gone when the old couple retires. :frowning: I’m glad to have gone and will be glad to go back. :slight_smile:

Hi @J_L,

Nice! I thought I saw “Battera” somewhere on another menu before. I will definitely have to try it there as well. Thanks.

1 Like

Wow! That made me feel like I’ve never had a proper Japanese dining experience ever in my life.

1 Like

Another wonderful review, @Chowseeker1999! I definitely have to check out Fukuno some time soon. The renkon kinpira sounds like a perfect dish to me, and I’m intrigued by the battera, which I’ve never encountered.

I do miss my grandma’s cooking. Actually, I had two Japanese grandmothers, but one was a lousy cook. But that’s another story… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: My maternal grandmother had an excellent palate though.

3 Likes

What??

There is nothing simple nor humble about lotus root.

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Thanks! :slight_smile: Definitely curious what you would think about Fukuno; I think there are enough dishes that you’d enjoy it.

Hi @ipsedixit,

Oh. I was just going off of seeing Lotus Root at some Asian supermarkets (seems pretty accessible / not expensive)? Or maybe fresh ones / real quality ones are rarer? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Only 1 or 2 other items on the menu that fit that description. However Mrs. Fukuzawa said that if there were any types of dishes we were interested in, to ask ahead of time and they might be able to accommodate.

Sorry my bad.

I was being facetious. I guess my refusal to use emoticons mutes my pitiful attempts at sarcasm.

1 Like

I knew you were being facetious. Can I get a pin?

4 Likes

Jackpot.

1 Like

Shibucho in Costa Mesa makes a very good battera sushi. I usually get it to go.

2 Likes

I almost forgot to post this.

I recently had a terrific avocado tuna salad here. Simple, basic but made with fresh ingredients and a deft hand with the seasoning so that each bite was vibrant and pure.

Good good stuff.

1 Like