Straight Outta Shinjuku - Old School, Mom & Pop Japanese Pub with Oden! SHOYA [Review + Pics]

duplicate

15 Likes

That looks like a gem!

2 Likes

Oh, I adore oden! Thanks for tagging me, @Chowseeker1999. I’ll have to try Shoya when I’m feeling kinda flush.

Several years ago, I had a craving for oden and lovingly prepared it to take to work for lunch. Only thing is I forgot it was street cleaning day… That was the most expensive oden I’ve had so far. Womp womp.

3 Likes

I know this weather ain’t jack compared to winters in most of Japan, but it’s about as oden-y now as it gets. :grin:

2 Likes

Agreed. Oden, gyoza, nabe, okonomiyaki, takoyaki, and ramen/udon are so crave-worthy right now.

2 Likes

… and mizutaki or okayu, and for a good guratan I’ll even put with all that cheese.

4 Likes

Hell to the yeah, @ipsedixit!

Hi @MaladyNelson,

I hope you get a chance to try it. Their Izakaya dishes like their Agedashi Nasu and Kanpachi Kama were sublime as well. :slight_smile:

And their Omusubi / Onigiri! I thought it was better than Sunny Blue and the other places I’ve tried recently. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, this is good to know! Thanks as always for your contributions here, @Chowseeker1999!

1 Like

Amazing. How do they do that? So much incredible food for a “mom n’ pop”.

[Wazing Lomita]

2 Likes

Thanks for the great report @Chowseeker1999, that kama, grilled chicken and rice ball look awesome.

2 Likes

amazing find, I’m going to check that out as soon as possible.

1 Like

“Where to find Japanese comfort foods in Los Angeles, Spring 2017 edition”

I take PayPal for creating these headlines for you.

10 Likes

haha nice one

Hi @Bookwich,

Yah, it’s pretty incredible that just the two of them (with no other help) can turn out so many delicious dishes, and keep the restaurant running smoothly, refilling drinks, etc. Hope you get to try it. :slight_smile:

Thanks @PorkyBelly. I think you’d like the place; just a small, simple hole-in-the-wall. Besides those dishes you mentioned, maybe give their Atsuage (Oden version (they have 2 styles of this dish)), Shishamo (Fried Smelt Fish), Agedashi Nasu (Eggplant) a try as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @matthewkang. Hope you enjoy your visit! :slight_smile:

Hi @beefnoguy,

Since you said you were visiting soon, I wanted to pass along their Sake Menu. They only have 4 selections (surprisingly small), but they have a much larger Shochu Menu. For Sake:

• Michinoku Onikoroshi
  • Suigei
  • Karatanba

These 3 were surprisingly well-priced at only $35 for the entire bottle!

• Hakkaisan

The Hakkaisan was at $60. When we asked if it was the Daiginjo, she said it wasn’t that one. I didn’t feel like pressing further on which one it was (we’ve had 2-3 different Hakkaisan bottles in the past, so we weren’t interested in ordering it that night anyways).

1 Like

Wonderful place!
Deserves some love. Really special - if you don’t live in Tokyo.
Natsuko gave us a little lesson on the variations of Oden Broths - their’s is a Tokyo style broth (lighter than more typical Northern styles).
We had many (but not AS MANY :slight_smile:) of the same dishes.
Had no room for the octopus/wasabi, any pork, any beef, collars, abalone, and the eggplant; had no inclination for natto,
Added a non-traditional jalapeno oden (spicy, goes well with sake per Natsuko-san)

Salt grilled Shrimp instead of the Snapper

The only small area that seemed “off” for our meal compared to @Chowseeker1999 's was that we had VERY non-crispy nori around the Omusubi (and did Cod Roe of which there wasn’t much inside) - non-crispy nori is a pet peeve of mine. Otherwise fantastic.

Thanks @Chowseeker1999

4 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob,

So glad you liked your visit! :slight_smile: That’s awesome that you were able to choose a different type of Oden broth! I’ll have to try it next time. :slight_smile:

Bummer about the nori on the riceballs. Strange. Were they eaten as soon as they arrived to you? Or perhaps did they sit for a few minutes? Just curious. Ours were eaten as soon as they arrived and were crisped. I’ll have to try it again and see.

The Shrimp looks delicious. :slight_smile: And definitely try the Kanpachi Collar next time.