Substituting white meat chicken for dark. How please?

I can eat and enjoy boneless skinless thighs but beyond that…nope. Really not a problem except I regularly see to use bone-in skin-on thighs and legs. This is in oven baked, covered dishes. If I substitute breasts, how should I adjust the temp (?) or time? TIA.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts cook about twice as fast as thighs. Start checking your meat at about 10 minutes, seriously.

Also, use a meat thermometer.

You’re going to find the white meat will be done way before things like carrots or potatoes, and if you’re making a stew or soup, way before the stew reduces. Just take the meat out as soon as it’s done and cook down everything else.

Thanks. I should have been more explicit. I want to use bone-in, skin-on breasts. And, yes, re the meat thermometer. 165? So will the above described breast cook a lot faster than the thighs. PS: Breasts are just ridiculously big. Here’s HALF of one from tonight’s. And I ate half of that.

1 Like

I have a hard time with white meat, without or without bone and skin. I don’t ever go as high as 165. I pull it at about 150.

Then again, Since I’ve started using the sous vide, I don’t have to stress anymore.

Nice looking plate of food, btw.

1 Like

Chicken lover here!

I cut about 3-4 half breasts in qtrs (6-8 pieces); slather on oil and seasoning (maybe a minuscule tad of liquid on bottom of pan to prevent sticking)

Bake in a pyrex or shallow roasting pan uncovered on high (about 450-475) 10-15 mins, until skin gets crispy and some fat is rendered.

Mix whatever sauce you’re using (bbq, lemon) with a skosh of chix broth and any pan drippings; pour on breasts and cover with foil; turn down heat (about 350) and slow cook for another 10-15

Remove foil and bake about another 10 mins to caramelize skin and thicken sauce.

I know you like recipes @catholiver, but on this one I’m an approximator (is that a word?) and I don’t use a thermometer.

Happy Chicken Breast Baking!

Sous vide is the solution for chicken meat (dark and other)

I’m really kinda talking about those slow cooker or cooked in a DO with vegetables and stuff. I see so many recipes that sound good except for the dark meat :slight_smile:

And there’s the issue. As a rule, leaner and/or more tender meats like white meat chicken, steaks, etc. benefit from fast, high heat cooking (unless sous vide-ing, of course). They just don’t hold up well to long cooking times.

The cuts that benefit from a long, slow cook are typically tougher cuts with more collagen/connective tissue/intramuscular fat like short ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, and dark meat chicken.

1 Like

That’s what I feared. Dagnabbit!

Get a thermometer and pull the meat as soon as it’s done. It has already added some flavor, and you can play around with reducing or seasoning the broth or stew or whatever.

That’s a great idea.

[quote=“OCSteve, post:8, topic:5268”]
As a rule, leaner and/or more tender meats like white meat chicken, steaks, etc. benefit from fast, high heat cooking (unless sous vide-ing, of course). They just don’t hold up well to long cooking times.
[/quote]The recipe I posted is about 40 minutes total. Is that considered long cooking for breasts. Because I’ve never had a problem with the meat being dry. But then again I cook them in sauce. I would not cook plain chicken breasts in the oven, especially since I don’t brine chicken.

Sous vide seems like a good one too.

I do long & slow bbq chicken, that is marinated the night before. It comes out really perfect.

1 Like

If you’re using a wet cooking method, and you’re leaving the skin and bones on, 40 minutes doesn’t seem like it would be too long.

1 Like

I learned on CH that marinades generally add flavor only and don’t tenderize.

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/marinades-flavor-tenderize.aspx

I reiterate [quote=“TheCookie, post:12, topic:5268”]
I do long & slow bbq chicken, that is marinated the night before. It comes out really perfect.
[/quote]I marinade meats I am going to grill or bbq. It imparts flavor and prevents it from drying out on the grill. Tenderizing isn’t really part of the equation.

You have an odd habit of disputing what people say works for them, yucking people’s yums and bagging on posters others say they like.

You can find a ton of citations online that will claim that marinades tenderize as well as add flavor. And I used to believe that, again until CH showed me the error of my ways. I’m an info junkie and I guess I sometimes think that others are also.

Okay, apologies. I was grouchy.

None necessary. I’m sure I wasn’t writing correctly. Kissed and made up :slight_smile:

1 Like