Suggestion for July 4th in LA for group of 4?

Does anyone have any idea what the scene at Barnsdall Art Park might look like on July 4th? Is ti going to be packed and impossible to drive in?

depends on what you’re looking for.

At 71above everyone gets their own app, salad, and main with choices to please every palate. the space and views will definitely impress and it will be cheaper.

Republique’s space is also great, the food is better and more inventive and will be shared, but more expensive.

Thanks!

Does Republique only seat communally at that long table under the vaulted skylight, or are there individual/private tables as well?

they have 2 and 4 tops as well

2 Likes

There are many individual tables. I’ve heard different reports about whether you can ask for them - I’ve always requested them when needed (usually when dining with grandparents) via online reservations and never had any problems, but it could’ve been a coincidence. Never hurts to ask, though. I suspect you have better odds if your reservations is far enough out, and this one would be.

1 Like

forgot to mention republique will be louder, if that matters.

2 Likes

another option is to enjoy the “free” view at the 71above skylounge pre/post dinner for the price of a $16 cocktail.

3 Likes

Yes it’ll be a zoo. Dont’ bother

1 Like

Ate at 71 Above last night.
View is stunning.
Group of 7-- 3 dishes pp x 7 = 21 dishes. Maybe 3 dishes were excellent (the crudo appetizer, the foie gras mousse, and I can’t remember the other decent bite); the rest neutral-to-bad.

My main was Spring Lamb Loin, Crépinette, Ramp Panisse, Fava, Plum, Pickled Mustard
The crepinette had more salt than lamb.

We all agreed never to dine there again.

2 Likes

18 out of 21 neutral to bad, that’s more what I’d expect from a view restaurant than what Jonathan Gold had.

Yep. I’ll go for drinks/view, but they gotta work on their food.

Schedule a 3-hr helicopter flight above L.A. (Porthos will probably allow you to borrow his ‘choppah’ for the night) around 7PM on July 4th for best results. Just watch out for the real anti-aircraft fire near some parts of town - Porthos wouldn’t want any residual flak char on his aircraft. Bring some In-N-Out and Apple Pan pie onboard.

1 Like

I think it’s a grab drinks at 71A then hit Shibumi or Bestia.

Next girl I date i’m doing that.

or mcdonalds for a filet-o-fish

2 Likes

Hey that’s Porthos! He’s been ‘Down Under’ recently, I see. Nice ride, right?

2 Likes

Don’t bother with 71Above

2 Likes

Don’t drive. Hire a car for the night or uber.

1 Like