Sushi School - Where should I begin?

Yep, I get that. It satisfies tree huggers like me. Clever.

What? That’s not an answer!

Well, stop this nonsense. Go have yourself some omakase and tell them to hold the bluefin. :hugs:

I’m sure you know this, but the bluefin issue is a hot button topic that itamae are obviously aware of. And Japan is Japan. Like the whale issue, if outsiders make it an issue, those feeling imposed upon will dig their heels in deeper. Cross cultural imposition is frowned upon not only in Japan, but obviously almost every where. Sharkfin, foie gras, turtle meat and eggs, etc. That’s the way of the world. And even these cultural inbeds are starting to change in cultural significance with successive generations.

Obviously, changes of opinion on issues impacting humans are slow and often don’t pick up momentum until a critical mass of some sort is on the horizon. Typically, it’s the impending doom upon our pocketbooks, our health, our mortality or moral compass that changes our priorities and views - often times like in this case where it might be too late.

We don’t go out for sushi omakase often, but when we have, we have almost always been asked about not only preferences or dislikes, but also allergies and if bluefin is okay.

Providing you with a meal that hones in on what drives your palate as much as possible is the goal of any respectable itamae. Your future patronage and word of mouth are obviously important as well. Old school old guard dinos like Hiko’s Murata san who live by this code of sushi bushido are almost extinct here. “The customer is right” tenet here makes this kind of itamae more of a curiosity now. His generation is the last of the Nikkei to have this hardwired unbending resolve en masse.

So if you feel a certain traditional food item is something you don’t prefer or would rather pass on, you shouldn’t feel this to be an affront here in LA. I’ve read enough of your posts to know that you have the wisdom and acumen to deal with this subject in a way that would satisfy both sides of the counter.

10 Likes

Edit: Ask them to hold the bluefin. Be polite and they should be fine. :wink:

What @bulavinaka says is true - of course, in a way only he can say it. I’m actually a little bummed I haven’t come across the “old school old guard dinos like Hiko’s Murata san who live by this code of sushi bushido” that I’d been warned about. My experiences have been so pleasant, lol.

1 Like

I love seeing and learning new words and terms on this board. I do, I really do! I know it’s not anyone’s job to be my tutor and I like looking things up myself. But sometimes it takes you down the rabbit hole and is harder than folks think.

I looked up “Nikkei” and got this.

…then this

I’m sure there’s more to find if I keep looking. But just this once, can you tell me what the meaning is? :smile:

I believe Nikkei generally means Japanese-American or Japanese born or raised in the United States.
(please correct me if i am wrong @bulavinaka )

3 Likes

and down the wikihole we go…

4 Likes

We were shown lots of whale in markets in Japan last month.

Kujira galore.

Yep… I looked up “miyagi saba bousushi” the other day and ended up spending 30 unproductive minutes reading an Eater article and the following comments about a white itamae at a NYC sushi-ya called Sushi by Bou, who was using a fake Japanese accent and saying things like ‘it’s dericious’ à la Mickey Rooney (Mr. Yunioshi) in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Wikihole indeed.

2 Likes

You might have better luck searching in Japanese / kanji

宮城鯖棒寿司

宮城鯖棒寿司 - Google Search and then google translate the website back to English.

1 Like

I finally found it, but got some NYC restaurant gossip along the way. :smile:

I read that article I can’t believe that people let that chef’s behavior go unaccounted for for so long

1 Like

Thank you, @bulavinaka. Your words are much appreciated as always.

1 Like

I know. It almost made me forget what I was searching for. The comments section was cray cray. They were bashing Eater… on Eater!

1 Like

this nigiri has one of the most ridiculous NSR i’ve ever seen. it’s basically a piece of sashimi on top of a grain of rice. this neta-inflation-shari-deflation madness needs to end #whitericematters

tai at sushi go 55 from kevineats

10 Likes

Now you’ve done it. All the “light on the rice” peeps in L.A. is gonna make a beeline straight for Go 55…

2 Likes

Lol I thought about asking for extra rice when I went to matsuhisa

2 Likes

The chef at this everyday Tokyo sushi joint must have been churned out from the same sushi school.

The sushi sensei may be appalled. For us, not a bad value for usd$24.00.

Avocado Salad(I need the greens)

Chirashi (needed the rice)

An Aji and some sake. Simple satisfying light weekday dinner.

1 Like

Recently had dinner at Sushi Sushi and found the same issue.
Keep your Keto-Sushi away, people!

2 Likes