Sushi School - Where should I begin?

went back to japan

do you know if he has a restaurant in Japan now? the labor issues didn’t seem like they’d necessary cause him to lose clientele…

i had heard about all the legal drama but hadn’t read that hollywood reporter summary - bold move by the reporter to actually try to talk to Urasawa at his restaurant during dinner hours

Pretty sure he was operating again between that article and covid and went back to Japan after covid. Didn’t he get 2 stars in the pre covid Michelin guide?

Haven’t heard anything about him since.

This was surely dramatic. The closure of [Peter] Morton’s West Hollywood spot in 2007 was a bit of a shock. Vanity Fair had held annual Oscars parties there.

i realize that this is three years later…

we also stopped eating bluefin several years ago. we have not had any trouble with “no bluefin” requests at any of the places we’ve eaten at in l.a, including mori, shunji, sushi tsujita*, shin sushi etc.

the question of bluefin being a part of japanese sushi tradition is an interesting one. i’ve read pieces that say this “tradition” is of very recent provenance.

*the one chef who was confused by our request was hide-san who handled our lunch omakase at sushi tsujita in the summer of 2016. it didn’t seem then that he’d heard that request ever before. but he warmed up soon enough when it became clear we were not being finicky and were happy to eat everything else. still, when i made the reservation sushi takeda last evening i made sure to email well ahead of time to ask if it would be possible to omit the bluefin from our nigiri omakase. the promptness of the positive response suggests to me that in the intervening years this has become a more common request.

1 Like

Sugarfish? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

It’s not mainstream American-style sushi.

https://sugarfishsushi.com/food-menus/la-singlepg-menu/

1 Like

Does anyone know what the “longest” omakase is in LA? Meaning the most amount of set courses/nigiri. I know many places will keep feeding you until you tap out, but I’m talking about a set price omakase for most amount of food.

my guess is shunji or sushi inaba with around 28 courses or so.

1 Like

Used to be Urasawa at 30-35+ bites

1 Like

Good ol’ Urasawa. Did Hiro-san move back to Japan and open something there?

Rumor mill says he moved back to Japan. Not sure if he’s opening anything there.

I’d say Morihiro. They must have served us 10 appetizers and 20 or so pieces of sushi, plus a number of desserts.

3 Likes

Hmm. I need a side by side.

3 Likes

Bumping an old thread - anyone have any mid-to-low-ish tier QPR favorites in the greater NELA area? Had been thinking Yui in Sierra Madre but am receiving complaints from fellow diners about the distance/traffic on the 210E. Pasadena/Glendale/East Burbank would probably be fine tho.

2 Likes

In Pasadena, there’s Aikan on Green St. for AYCE sushi There’s Oji on Colorado for all sorts of crazy rolls. For better quality, there’s Sugarfish on Shoppers Lane but it has a no reservation policy which can make it an ordeal to get seated on weekends.

osawa

1 Like

Don’t judge me lol is there anyone doing “real” California rolls? Real crab! I love the combination

3 Likes

I think kura does real crab California rolls

1 Like

KazuNori

1 Like