Sushi School - Where should I begin?

It’s also on amazon in hardback and kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010ZZYNUM/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1590463472&sr=8-1

2 Likes

Now why didn’t I think of that?

Shari, Shari! Neta on Shari! :sushi:

Is there a right way, wrong way or your way? Some may know how it’s supposed to be prepared and I’m sure you also have preferences - rice type, loose, packed, temp, texture, mouthfeel, seasoning. Can you share yours?

The Untold Story of Sushi in America - The New York Times figured this would be a good place to share this here in case you didn’t know.

3 Likes

Wow, I missed the original post, just seeing this now. This will make a perfect Xmas gift for my husband!

1 Like

didn’t really want to create a new thread.

Is Katsuya Studio City the best in it’s class at that price range? I want seared everything and baked crab hand rolls.

3 Likes

For reasons that are unclear to me, Katsuya Encino is slightly better

1 Like

Katsuya in Northridge is better than the studio city location, food is on par with Encino location, but clientele is less “hip” than Encino and wait time is less.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure if it’s worth creating a new thread on this, but I wanted to hear your opinions on what you think is the most “baller” sushi spot in LA currently? Thinking of ideas to book the whole restaurant/bar for my upcoming birthday in December. Kaneyoshi would be amazing, but given how hard it is to get a resy I doubt they’ll have availability to do that sort of thing. Ideally would want a meal similar to what Urasawa use to provide (which is permanently closed correct?) with ingredients like wagyu, toro, harder to find seafood from Japan, etc. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Kaneyoshi reserves Tuesdays and Saturdays for buyouts, worth giving them a call.

not strictly sushi, but yamakase uses a lot of baller ingredients.

2 Likes

Baller in terms of pricing? Gina Onodera or Morihiro are both $400.

I think it’s a good thread for your question because it’s sushi all encompassing. :slightly_smiling_face: Happy Birthday to be!

Yama-san is still doing his thing? Anyone been since COVID?

Yama is a great option! My buddy just went last month and says it hasn’t changed much since the last time he went 2-3 years ago.

Same Yama-san. Uni with toro with caviar with truffle.

1 Like

Ideally would want a meal similar to what Urasawa use to provide (which is permanently closed correct?)

does anyone know what happened to Urasawa, both restaurant and chef?

blech :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

went back to japan

1 Like

Get the rights to the screenplay. Sushi Chef Hiroyuki Urasawa’s Many Legal Battles Explained – The Hollywood Reporter

4 Likes

Could this be the worst/most dramatic closure of a high end restaurant in LA?

2 Likes