Sushi School - Where should I begin?

Good. I have a couple weeks and these were going to be my next questions; what to look for?

I saw your report on Shunji’s lunch special. It’s part of what started this. But are you saying do lunch not dinner or just don’t forget about the lunch special?

Do both if you can!!

Just saying that lunch which is significantly more cheaper you still get to sample great technique. It’s not like, “Oh he’s just getting lunch, let’s make this crappy”

1 Like

Is a birthday sushi bang bang possible? Shunji for lunch and elsewhere - some place with a different approach - for dinner? Or maybe a blowout sushi birthday weekend?

2 Likes

…and spending the weekend with someone who looks like this :disappointed:. But, that is a fantastic idea! The sushi bang bang part, not the disappointed face part.

1 Like

Sorry. I mistakenly thought you were suggesting a place on Beverly Dr. not Blvd. Noshi Sushi is in Ktown. I went a few times years ago. At the time people considered them the real deal. It looks like it’s seen better days. Have you been lately and still enjoy it? It’s really close to my home and would be a good place (not necessarily for special occasion) for frequenting.

It’s an decent neighborhood spot that’s cheaper than average. I would avoid any upper-end/“interesting” items like Uni/Toro/Ankimo/etc. Their kanpachi is decent though. I tend to stick to basis fish cut rolls, and I would not go here for special occasions.

They also have a surprisingly good sake selection with nearly no markup on retail prices - sometimes even below retail. I’m particularly fond of the Otokoyama.

I was trying to think what I remember about Noshi Sushi. It attracted the anti Sushi on Sunset, Tommy Tang crowd (not knocking tommy :slight_smile:) back in the day. They had none of the flash or sleekness. It was straight-ahead sushi. Isn’t it also kinda’ big for a sushi restaurant? Like a Legionaries Club married a sushi bar. I think I’d like to go again :relaxed:. What do you bet that I’ll see some “hamsters”?

It’s a pretty large space, yeah. I think I’m missing the hamsters reference. :?

1 Like

Hipsters. A poster had gone someplace and wrote that there were a lot of “h-words” there. @PorkyBelly asked “hamsters?”

1 Like

8 Likes

Cookie, how about Echigo ?

It’s very easy and accessible and no sushi Gestapo here.

1 Like

Great! :smile:

What happened to Tommy Tamng ?

I’m not sure how old you are. But he had that fun little spot on Melrose in the 80’s. Then they closed and popped up on Colorado BL when Old Town first became popular. IIRC it didn’t have the sushi bar & restaurant combo; just a small sit down space, serving more refined Thai. The authenticators might call it something else haha. I remember having these fantastic whipped sweet potatoes, almost like a mousse. I think it closed. But he’s still traveling around doing his tv thing.

Oh, no? My experience tells me otherwise. Echigo is the ONLY sushi bar I’ve ever walked out on mid-meal.

Echi-don’t-go, I say.

1 Like

New to this board (occasional lurker on the old board, recently found FTC), and what a great topic! This place hasn’t been covered here, but I enjoyed a recent meal at Soregashi in Hollywood. It’s in a little strip mall on the corner of Santa Monica & Highland, not the best area, but relatively easy to park.

They’re not strictly a sushi restaurant as they have a decent sized izakaya menu, and that’s also reflected in their narrower selection of fish, at least compared to the higher end sushi places. That said, all the fish I tried was very good quality. The sushi rice was on the cooler side, and while I prefer more room temp, the nigiri were good overall.

There are several seats along a counter, where you can order from the entire menu, but it seems like you can also order omakase. The chefs and servers were all friendly as well, not of the intimidating variety!

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, I’ve been meaning to check this place out. Based on the menu and aesthetic it looks like a decent mid-range spot.

Sushi Gestapo. Can I use that?

Welcome @glazedonut. Thanks for the recommendation!

One more Sushi Tanaka in Simi, excellent QPR

3 Likes