Tacolandia 2017

Unfortunately I haven’t had the Coni marlin tacos yet, so can’t make the comparison. From photos I’ve seen, they actually look quite similar, with the melty smear of cheese draped over the fish. I’ll have to check those out!

@TheCookie - yes I always enjoy those Mariscos Jalisco tacos, surprised there wasn’t more of a line. Perhaps not trendy enough? Fine by me, though, more for the rest of us!

1 Like

too many tacos.

at a taco event? im shocked, shocked i tell you (your tacos, sir).

1 Like

yes, too too many tacos.

get stumach aches.

They were (mostly) on the smaller end. I was full after 15, but not in any discomfort. Mind you… I kinda felt like I’d had alot of octopus, ceviche, cauliflower, and marlin… but I don’t eat poultry or mammals, so my options were narrowed by my diet. Others might have had a broader experience.

1 Like

Hi -

[quote=“glazedonut, post:70, topic:5358”]
Perhaps not trendy enough?
[/quote]That was my thought too.

Gag me with a spoon.

We went, we saw, we ate… and ate, but had no interest in conquering.

Thankfully, @PorkyBelly advised going an hour early. Well, we did at least arrive before doors opened - it was pretty cush. Our friends had a last minute thing and bailed - no dividing and conquering, but most lines were manageable and seating was sufficient.

We only did a few trendy spots. I did not attempt to take pictures of everything, and left finicky Cookie at home.

Kokopelli - Tortilla Chip w/Ceviche, Squid Ink and Pumpkin Seed Salsa was a sweet little starter. (no picture)

Mariscos Jalisco (truck) - Tacos de Camarón (shrimp tacos, fried)

:kissing_heart: Our favorite taco of the day - lightly fried, not greasy, a little creaminess from the shrimp batter & avocado.

Birrieria Jalisco - Chopped, Slow-cooked Goat, Melty Cheese in Flour Tortilla

This was more of a quesadilla. Definitely another favorite.

Chicas Tacos - Esquite (creamy corn salad) / Ensenada-style Fish Tacos topped w/Morita Salsa & Caesar Salad

Yes, Caesar Salad was invented in Mexico, but it has no biz piled on top of a taco at a hot festival. Okay, let me rephrase that - It might have been perfect if it was chopped and there was much less. So, I have no idea if the fish was cooked properly (probably was) or how the salsa tasted. On a brighter note? The Esquite was f-ing delish :kissing_closed_eyes:!

Sabina’s La Guerrerense - Ceviche Tostada and Grilled Octopus Taco w/Avocado

Internet photos
Oh my wow! Winner of the longest line. We rolled our eyes at the line. But, I said “Wait, I’ll go look at the offerings.” Came back “Yep, we’re staying in line. I’ll get you another shrimp taco from Mariscos Jalisco and be right back.” Sabina was a crack-up - sweet, but she don’t play. Someone tried to press her about the ingredients on the tostada. She answered “Fish”. That thing lit everyone’s mouths up :fire:. A couple of people were crying… oh yeah, the octopus was tender and tasty :slight_smile:.

…Are you still with me?

Consumed but Not Pictured:

Chichen Itza
Carnitas Taco topped w/perfectly crispy Chicharrones. Original or unoriginal, it was delicious.

Revolutionario (truck)
Carnitas & Kimchi in a Black Corn Tortilla -
Split decision. Husband liked it. I thought it was gimmicky, lacked flavor, plus mine had a big piece of bone or gristle :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Tacos Baja (truck)
Ceviche Tostada & Ensenada-style Fried Fish Taco. We both thought they were meh.

Cielito Lindo
Beef Taquitos - Are what they are.

Mondo
Chicken Taco - More meh.

Zamora Bros
Booth was up but no one was home :woman_shrugging:.

Margarita, Beer & Jim Beam

Wrestling
Entertaining, but I thought Big Sexy was going to have a heart attack.

Warner Bros
Provided a gambling table, in case you had to drag yourself away from a weekend at Pechanga?

The Gateway to Nature Center
Was charming, but really made me wish I had bought more beaded cuffs when I was last in Mexico… $42 each! Come on now.

Chinese American Museum
Was closed. Okay, it has nothing to do with the event at hand, but I was still bummed.

Final thoughts:
We hadn’t been before, so no precedence. A really good time was had by us. As far as the stuff yourself with as many tacos as possible concept? We decided it wasn’t for us. After a while it becomes an endurance sport, even for my husband who is a notorious eater. I stopped counting his intake at 16. You just stop tasting after a while and can’t discern.

Our only real complaint - It was too f-ing loud!!! The music was blaring and I feel bad writing this, but the MC was irritating. It was enough to keep us away next time.

Will we go again? Probably. Maybe every other year.

Thanks for the tips folks!

10 Likes

Sabina’s salsas are no joke!

I had to drink half a bottle of nearby Jarritos Cola after her famous peanut salsa

1 Like

I was so bummed when Sabina ran out of tostadas literally two before me :frowning:

2 Likes

Yeah agree that the music was on the loud side.

1 Like

It was a drag, because the shadiest tables were next to the speakers. I kept my ear buds in, but still… :tired_face:

Yeah, the music was oppressively loud.

By the way, anybody else see the Taco Jedi (that’s what his shirt said), who had a tray on a lanyard around his neck so that he could stack up tacos on his dining surface? After about 5 tacos my wife decided he was a genius…

3 Likes

Hah! We missed that.

Saw several people who brought trays with them. Thought it was genius too

Me too. There was a group of ladies who had trays with cup holders in the middle.

I saw an on point t-shirt too.

Possibly worn by a guy named Juan.

1 Like
1 Like