Tacos 1986 - New Tijuana-style stand w/ trompo in Hollywood

sounds like Wednesday night - I came by at a similar time and experienced similar things. but it was promising enough for me to come back (twice).

Also, would love to know all the asada and tortillas from “many other places in town” not named Loqui / TST.

Oh yeah, I can totally understand seeing the potential, particularly if this is a local spot for you! It’s a little out of the way for me, so I do plan on making it back eventually but it’s a low priority for now. (This was actually Thursday night)

As far as other asada: Mexicali, Los Poblanos, Sonoratown, Asadero Chikali, La Carreta, Salazar, the taco stand behind Food 4 Less in El Sereno, and the new taco stand on Figueroa by the 99 Cent Store in Highland Park all make comparable or better asada based on my lone visit the other night.

Tortillas: Salazar, Guisados, Frogtown’s Gourmet, Asadero Chikali, Sonoratown, El Flamin’, Mi Ranchito, and a few others that aren’t coming to me at the moment make tortillas that I think are as good or better (some of those above are obviously flour).

To be clear: I am by no means trashing them, and the asada, tortillas, and salsa were good, but I was underwhelmed relative to the hype/coverage they’ve received and overwhelmed by the salt levels.

3 Likes

Tacos Los Poblanos @ Avalon x Slauson

Everyday except for Tuesday.

IMO the best Carne Asada Tacos. I think it might be the same owners as Tire Shop

Despite that the times I had them I thought they were a little more agressive with the smoke flavor

1 Like

Huge disappointment!

The tacos were as everyone said - great cook on the meats, tender, smokey, flavorful, nice crispy char bits in the tacos, decent salsas. Salty. Salty. Salty. The Adobada wasn’t quite as bad as they probably couldn’t figure how to over-salt it on the trompo. :wink: But they’ll figure it out, because that’s apparently their intention. Okay, that is a joke, but I mean really!

I love and make a lot of tacos. We had a taco ball at Tacolandia 2017. But I am not as much of a street taco lover as most on this board or my “I could eat tacos almost everyday” husband. Steak isn’t my go to taco meat, I’m picky about where my pork comes from and chicken tacos from truck stands always suck. I like Guisados-style and :heart: me some Fish Tacos and the Shrimp Tacos at Mariscos Jalisco. Anyway, I tried the beef and pork from Tacos 1986 for research, but was really happy about them having the Hongos (mushroom) option and was doubly thrilled about the Vampiros (love crispy shells and melty cheese). I thought, okay, it’s on. We found a place we can both love. Unlike @ns1, I liked the greasy on their Shroom Vampiro. It’s like biting into a nice, greasy, drippy, meat taco and the shrooms were cooked perfectly. One bite… salty. Second bite to make sure what I tasting… Salty! Done. This Shroom Taco was literally the saltiest thing I’ve had all year.

One curious thing - the Carne Asada Taco meat was saltier than the Carne Asada Vampiro meat, leading me to believe they may salt the meat again on the grill for each order and maybe we could ask them not to do so in the future, if there is a future. :thinking:

Anyway, still in search of a local taco truck stand my husband and I can both enjoy.

Happy :taco: Eating!

Add Taqueria Los Anaya on Adams in Mid-City to the Best Tortilla list.

2 Likes

I quite enjoy the tortillas from Burritos La Palma.

4 Likes

I’m thrilled by the negative experiences here. Please share all over the social hype platforms so I can have an easier time :stuck_out_tongue:

Totally believe they can be inconsistent especially at the end of the night.

I didn’t quite understand why the quesadilla with a bit of cheese without meat (same tortilla as the taco) for my kid was $4 while a taco with loads of meat is $3

2 Likes

Guess I just really like salt. Lol

3 Likes

I thought I did too. Maybe my palate is changing, but I’m having a rough time with the salt levels at a lot of places lately. Maybe because I’ve been cooking more and can better tell how much salt is in restaurant food. It ain’t good folks. It’s expected with certain food, egs. shoyu chicken and other soy sauce based dishes. But it’s not necessary for this type of food.

Sorry about the rant, but this is a big issue for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only question is did they fuck up and over-salt or is this food just too salty for you which is ok with us who like full seasoned tacos. My tacos were seasoned just right. But I only tried the Adobado and will try the others next time. Hopefully they just fucked up. They seem responsive to adjustments so hopefully they fix if them did mess up

1 Like

can’t speak to the adobado, but the guy doing the asada is salting it by hand on the grill so there’s that.

I’m going to guess that it’s somewhere in the middle - salt level is probably higher than average as a baseline, and then the imprecise nature of salting it by hand.

1 Like

I like salty food that’s supposed to be salty - I’m addicted to potato chips, put extra salt on my fries, love bacon & cured ham. But this was a fuck up IMO. There’s a difference between seasoning and salt. Oversalting is lazy seasoning. I don’t think it’s a me problem (but maybe). It’s been a common complaint on this board and my cousin who’s a chef says they become tongue blind to salt and frequently over salt.

I agree with you about the Adobado, it was quite good.

Anyway, like I said, this is a big issue with me and when moved I will rant about it a bit.

1 Like

Ahhh hah!!! Yep, my husband just said it was a kid on the grill. He was too busy checking out the girls… and f-ing up this guy’s biz.

1 Like

I :heart: this. Now I can just request no extra salt. Because I really do like this menu.

1 Like

isn’t Asada a marinated meat? shouldn’t be double salting it lol

2 Likes

1 Like

Excellent. Now, see, they’re using oranges, green onions, spices. That means they’re infusing good flavor into the meats. Oversalting defeats the effort. I would like to go back to the days when it was up to the customer to over salt their food, if they want. It’s called a :salt: shaker!

1 Like

Thanks for making the distinction between oversalted and salty! I feel like oversalted is becoming increasingly common, unfortunately. In my own experience here, I’d say my first time (Tuesday) the asada was oversalted while my second time (Friday) it was salty but in a good way. Perhaps your husband is onto something about the guy at the grill not paying attention! It was a different guy each time grilling the asada, so perhaps the different staff just prefer different salt levels.

Which is still a problem that the owners should address - sounds like they should do more QC and, to @Nemroz’s point, a little less branding/social media stuff!

1 Like

Yo speaking of Highland Park have you been to Mariscos El Faro? The Callo De Lobina (I think sea bass) and Aguachile are so f’ing good and it comes with crushed red chile that I never seen before in my Mariscos truck adventures. There ain’t no truck doing sea bass and those crushed red chiles.

Don’t sleep

Trust me

3 Likes

Jacoby & Myers Tacos. L.A. truly has everything…

2 Likes