Thanksgiving Cooking, Not Gonna Do It

Seriously. Those are some interesting selections. It’s making me hungry.

I love breasts & wings… but that was funny. No goose this year?

Fantastic list! Thank you!

1 Like

Holy cow. If they do that here in Los Angles - I am in! I don’t mind cooking all the side dishes – it’s the turkey that gets me.

And we normally do dim sum but again - $40 for that turkey? With no driving to Arcadia? :thinking::yum::grinning:

3 Likes

No . Crustaceans and mollusks.

1 Like

Yep! I called the Alhambra location and they said they have it, but not many and you have to go there to pick it up soon because they don’t have space to keep them. Turns out they are cooked and frozen, so less drool worthy than the thought of a freshly fried turkey, but it’s easy enough to reheat.

1 Like

Do it! I’m going to buy one or two and turn on the spare fridge in the garage to keep it.

1 Like

Thanks for the homework and the update!

I’m going to call my local Popeyes tomorrow : ) :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I am sure you guys sides are tasty but so is that Popeyes Red Beans and Rice!

4 Likes

I’ve ordered a rotisserie turkey breast through instacart.com. grocery delivery (within two hours) that was pretty good. They carry whole rotisserie chickens as well. Gelson’s or Marie Callender’s is another thought. Don’t forget Marie’s homemade pies, if you’re so inclined. I would stay away from the boxed or package deals that include sides. They’re awful, small portions and pricey. You might put an order in at Ralph’s or Von’s for a rotisserie turkey, and pick it up. Homemade is always best. How about a spatchcocked turkey? It cooks quickly, and the butcher might spatchcock the bird for you. Cornish game hens is another way to go. Happy T-day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome @Annie1! Thanks for the post hope you continue posting and enjoying our little food board community.

4 Likes

Annie - that is an excellent idea! I’m going to start chatting up the butchers at my grocers now, to start seeing who might be willing to do that… While I am sure the folks at Gelsons would do that, I’m a thrifty gal, so it’s Ralph’s or Super King for me…

1 Like

I don’t enjoy wrestling with the big bird either. Spatchcock that sucker. Save the backbone. Here’s an example:

1 Like

This is getting into cooking territory on the Not Gonna’ Do It thread. But last year I baked Turkey Thighs and an Herb-butter Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Breast. It took way less time and effort than a whole turkey and I could make my own gravy. :wink:

3 Likes

Republique Holiday Pies

https://republiquela.com/holiday-pies/

4 Likes

Yikes! I mean thank you but? I downloaded the order form and $48 for a 9 inch pumpkin, or sweet potato, or apple, or pecan pie. For that price? I’d rather put the money to a freshly deep fried turkey, or get fresh steamed crabs - and then bake the pie myself. But then again, I am, a happy baker…

Actually, now that I think about it, that’s one of the cool things about LA. You cook/bake what you want - then you can order and pick up fab for the rest! So if you prefer cooking - pick up a great pie and report back! As I prefer baking, I may pick up different stuff (yay fresh steamed dungeness crabs - or a spatchcocked turkey - haven’t decided yet!) and then fill out the meal with rolls, veggies or salad and, well, a pie.

5 Likes

I will add that the pie at Republique is spectacular. Last year I bought a pie just to eat before Thanksgiving. :joy:

4 Likes

Du-par’s at the Farmer’s Market has a couple full dinner takeaway packages. $155 serves 4-6 people and comes with one pie, $225 serves 8-10 with two pies.

1 Like

Here’s an idea of what Marie Callender’s offers, and prices. I like the pies, but haven’t tried their dinners.

Or…
Home Town Buffet
http://www.hometownbuffet.com/menus/menu-samples/