Thanksgiving Cooking, Not Gonna Do It

Deleted

Feedback on the Popeye’s cajun smoked turkey

I’m going to have to rethink the stuffing/dressing decision! Thanks.

Am cooking

1 Like

Me too. Post tomorrow in Home Cooking. My favorite meal to cook.

1 Like

I generally agree with her assessment of the Popey’s turkey: decent flavor but dry. I didn’t think the texture was so bad, just dry. My family liked it much more than I did. They even had it without the gravy. I made a huge batch of gravy because I didn’t realize how salty the drippings were. I am quite a salty person (both taste-wise and personality-wise) but even I found the drippings to be ridiculously salty. Surprisingly, the meat was not salty at all. I don’t know how to fix the dryness since it does take the full 2 1/2 hours to reheat. And we began defrosting on Sunday night so it was fully defrosted.

If you have to defrost it and reheat it for 2-1/2 hours, it seems like more work than cooking a fresh kosher turkey.

2 Likes

oh jeeezus lol. times were different

That’s true. I think there’s some mental load that is alleviated simply from thinking that the turkey is “taken care of” even though it’s not! Also, I’ve only had a 50/50 track record on making a better tasting turkey.

It’s too late for Thanksgiving this year, but… I was watching the KTLA News the other morning, and they advertised Coco’s Thanksgiving dinner for $59.99, which serves four to six. For $10 more, you can add a pie from their Bakery. That’s way more reasonable than Marie Callender’s, for example. They charge about $114. On the News they mentioned Coco’s teamed up with Doordash, and would deliver the meal. I didn’t see any mention of that on their site, but it sounded pretty good to me.
ETA link
https://cocos.olo.express/menu/cocos-bakery-restaurant-van-nuys/categories/15662

Since it’s just me, getting Providence’s $300 takeaway meal for 2-3 ppl was not an option so I checked out LQ Foodings / Bistro LQ and ordered the Thanksgiving Boxx for one $60 and 3 cheeses for $15. It doesn’t include dessert so I’m waiting for his pastry chef to post her dessert offerings in a few weeks or I might order a 5 inch pie or two from Winston Pies’ Brentwood store.

PS: LQ’s pricing is inclusive with no additional charges.

Update post T-day:

Menu pic:

Pic before assembly:

Meal plated:

Thoughts:

Ate 2/3 of meal on T-day, ate the 3rd turkey roulade on Day 2 with leftover gravy and sides.

Had cheese plate this past Monday for an extravagant mini breakfast - Chef LQ included a jar of quince gelee, since I’ve been a regular customer for a while now. The quince gelee was so elegant and I used a bit for the breakfast cheese plate.

If LQ Foodings offers Thanksgiving takeaway in 2021, I’ll probably order it again @TheCookie since everything’s lovingly prepared and because I’m quite fond of Chef LQ as a person, too.

I skipped ordering dessert this year. Cleaned out my fridge and made Apple Crumble using the streusel from Republique’s fruit crumble recipe and Sunset magazine’s apple brandy crisp recipe for the fruit - came out pretty good and using Calvados brandy made it especially yummy, but I’ll probably omit allspice and ground cloves next time.

8 Likes

Thanks for reviving this thread, probably a good idea to investigate earlier than the week of like I usually do haha.

4 Likes

A list from LA Magazine

8 Likes

I could be down just to try some holiday tamales from Salazar.

2 Likes

I’m really hoping Majordomo does something.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I am very particular about turkey gravy, and find almost everything. No, everything inferior to my own. But two years I had brain radiation thanksgiving week while Mr. JudiAU took the chow pups to our friend’s fabulous thanksgiving. I bought a container of turkey Gravy from Clementine, a little container of stuffing, and made a couple of mashed potatoes. It was all I ate for a couple of days…and it was good.

Preorders for TDay start today. Like all business they are hit hard. They are also handling fruit boxes from Arnett and after a break will resume Tamai farm boxes.

4 Likes

Some more options here, Socalo, Kali, etc.

3 Likes

For those in OC, The Ranch and Heritage Barbecue both have Thanksgiving options

3 Likes

I ate at Kali last year and really enjoyed it. Wonderful, straightforward thanksgiving. Would recommend trying them for takeout.

My family is doing Orsa & Winston this year.

4 Likes