The Bang Bang Thread

Continuation after my Shunji lunch…

Yabu. Heard that the soba was good here.

Some good slurping. TBH I am not sure what makes a good soba. I’ll have to visit Ichimi Ann to see. I enjoyed this though.

Soba Water to add to your dipping sauce. I should have dumped some of the dipping sauce, this was nice.

Hide Sushi. Read that they been here for years. Very sweet and friendly service.

Norimaki. I was deprived of these for lunch as a kid, so I am making up for that! Tempura House down the street also makes a good norimaki from the hands of a sweet granny. Her grand babies probably ate the same maki’s. These were good at Hide!

Yellowtail and Scallion. These were a kick ass bite!

Also not pictured got the veggie, and salmon skin. Veggie, good. Salmon skin, 2 pieces were nice and others were too done for me.

I wouldn’t mind living on/near Sawtelle!

5 Likes

Hear hear…

Always get da beef reeeeeeebs!!!

1 Like

uh, why was I just informed of this?

2 Likes

I have been saying for a while to get the beef reeeeeeebs here!

3 Likes

You should have stopped at Tacos San Pedro for carne asada flautas, and that ain’t no fuckin joke.

Right next to Matiki.

I live “near” in L.A. terms, about 10 minute drive with no traffic. Unfortunately, nothing is open when there’s no traffic. I could eat on that street every day.

So an hour away during most of the day then?

1 Like

The Sawtelle Bang Bang

Tsujita

char siu tsukemen - so rich donald trump wants to appoint it to his cabinet
The broth was a lot saltier than i remembered.

Plan Check

southern fry - smoky fried jidori chicken, spicy green pimento cheese, duck breast ham, pickles

9 Likes

I think I am the last person in FTC LA who has never been to Plan Check.

Going to be hard to decide between the chicken sandwich or burger. That chickie looks great.

Pro tip: ask for a side of the smoked milk gravy to dip the sandwich in. Because gilding the lily is actually a good thing.

4 Likes

Wandering around DTLA. Started my day with a shot of Dandy Espresso at Blue Bottle. The old Handsome space still exclusively roasts Handsome’s signature espresso and despite its zombie-esque feel they still make it pretty close to the original. On the citrusy and acidic side of which I am a huge fan.

Walked over to Grand Central Market and got a Fresh Ginger Shot with Cayenne and a Rasberry Back from Press Brothers Juicery. The raspberry juice back is a great touch here if you’re into ginger shots.

Needed some more caffeine and a place to hang for a bit so I grabbed a fresh cold brew from G&B:

Then I hit up Wexler’s for an Everything Bagel w/ Cream Cheese. Not sure what bagels are supposed to taste like but in terms of crunch, chew and flavor I am hard pressed to think of a better bagel I’ve had in my life.

Feeling good I went walking and ended up at Howlin’’ Ray’s where I grabbed a Howlin’ Plus Wing. A secret level above Howlin’. I really love that there is an option to grab just a solo wing for $3. It was really cold out while I was spending the day wandering around DTLA and this was the best snack imaginable. super crispy and juicy with this magical wallop of spices that are kind of pungent and sweet but also endorfin-rush-inducing in their heat. A flavor unlike any other. I didn’t find water necessary for it, but boy howdy does it pair well with some comeback saucd and pickles. Best chicken wing ever!

They hooked me up with fries and some plain wings to go as I slipped in at the end of the day. HR one of the coolest places in LA just to be at honestly.

I needed a place to relax for a bit and more caffeine, so I hit up Demitasse for a Kyoto Cold Brew, which was quite excellent.

And then I headed over to Mikawaya for some Mochi because by this point my stomach felt like it could use a bit of dairy. I actually liked the pistachio a little more than the toasted almond, but both are pleasant simple bites with a nice texture for $1.30 a piece.

I circled back to the Arts District to hit up ERB’s happy hour.

Their Moscow Mule was aggressive with the ginger and lime, feel it would not work for most people, but it worked ok as a back for the Espadin Mezcal they have on at happy hour, excellent mezcal, though Broken Spanish has a better HH deal on it.

They serve Free Chips and Salsa as well, which were a nice snack. Would be cool if the chips were warm but they were good chips and the salsa had a balanced range to it. Not a bad free snack at all.

By this point I had a concert in mid Wiltshire to attend. Had a really nice Lost Abbey Saison at the show.

Capped the day of hitting up places at Wally’s with some Mexican Pavo Real, Valle de Guadalupe, 2012 which was excellent, lots of cherry notes and a smooth finish. Love seeing more Mexican wine making it to the US.

And some Tenuto San Guido Sassicaia 2013, which has to be one of my favorite wines I have ever had. Just so earthy and rich and utterly delicious. Actually makes you forget that it’s $52 glass while drinking it haha

They also do a pretty great sandwich stacked with delicate meats and cheese and veggies on fresh Clark Street ciabatta. I was too out of it to get a great photo but it’s a pretty tasty and strangely cheap sandwich for Bev Hills.

Heck of a day :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Santana-Little Saigon Bang Bang

El Yaqui Mariscos Truck. They are from Sonora. Pretty rare find in both OC and LA. I am convinced they are the only one. Known for the manta ray dishes and sea turtles(that is done btw endangered). I been craving their tostada which is really special.

Oh yes baby, the Tostada De Perrona. Gotta give you guys a Krab warning. I personally am okay with it, it is an authentic ingredient no matter what people say. Loaded with octopus, shrimp, and abalone with cucumbers and red onions in a sweet-spicy-citrusy sauce. All of the seafood was nicely cooked-marinated. No rubber and no lime overdose. This is a strictly family recipe btw. No one else does it. If this was LA it would make a Eater list or a quick Bill Esparza article for LA Magazine online.

Also got a consomme:

Hot-seafoody-slightly tomatoey. I think this was free with a purchase.

Pro-tip: Not on the menu, but ask for consomme at any lamb or seafood truck, it may be free or $1-2.

Also don’t bother with the manufactured bottle hot sauce, they make their own hot sauces and cream-based sauces. This is on the left side of the truck in squeeze bottles. Not many mariscos trucks make their own.

To Little Saigon…

Most people here get grilled rice. On this night quite a few noodle soups slurping around.

Free Chrysanthemum Drink (thank you autospell)

Got the Salmon with Crispy Rice.
Salmon was nice and moist. The dipping sauces include a sweet-garlicky sauce (@Ns1 know the name?) with maybe a little fish sauce too, and a spicy soy sauce. Rice is nice and crispy on top and bottom.

Salmon skin!!

Total damage was $10.50.

Walked across the street to:

SOLD OUT of Fried B-A-N-A-N-A-S (damn you Gwen Stefani spelling out bananas is forever in my head)!!! Are you kidding me?
Sad Panda. Got the Banana-Coconut Milk-Sago:

Take it home and warm it up, tastes 10 x better. Trust.

Memory Lane: I remember all the good SGV Canto places in the 90’s had FREE Chrysanthemum drink in addition to “Old Fire” Soup, white rice, oranges AND warm coconut-sago dessert or sweet herbal soup or green mung bean soup. Memories…

10 Likes

No idea. Luc Dinh Ky is so old school now. A lot of people get those funky herbal soups there. A little too old school for me…

Does El Yaqui have any manta ray dishes?

Mr. Esparza cover well beyond LA, he just reported on DF Tamales out in Rialto…

Or is Rialto still LA? Hard to believe Santa Ana isn’t just as far, but I guess who knows.

We could use better reporting on Santa Ana, as it must be hiding more regional gems.

The OC Weekly has a blurb on them, but missed that tostada, and recommend the seafood empanadas instead:

http://www.ocweekly.com/location/mariscos-el-yaqui-6502306

Btw, how much does a tostada loaded with abalone cost?

El Yaqui indeed does have manta ray dishes. Come early, the 2 times I went they were out.

The tostada was $10.

What is the best manta ray dishes to eat if you can get there in time?

Gjusta x Stan’s Donuts :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Cahuamanta Soup seems to be the money dish

Just realized that the US doesn’t have many ray dishes. All over the place in Europe and Asia.

1 Like