We miss classic French food

I miss that place so much. Blanking on the name.

Was it replaced w/ Meet in Paris? The cafe b/f that was Le Saint Amour.

1 Like

Le Saint Amour was it.
Great bistro fare.

That’s right! I think the owner and Chef Bruno got a divorce, or so I heard. And he went back to France.

Argh! Only got to try it once b/f it closed. Was one of the few DineLA experiences I liked, and I thought the food was great (and an insanely good value during DineLA; I cannot remember what we got, though). Seemed like a lovely place.

I actually found the name by digging through some old e-mails…

1 Like

I have high hopes for Kass in our area. Hope there are some classics

Some brasserie stuff that looks rather appealing in Agoura Hills:
https://www.ladyfaceale.com/kitchen/

1 Like

Interesting Ms. @ElsieDee. This thread made me think of the first French restaurant I dined at in California. It was in Pasadena. I was practically a kid when a friend and I ditched school, went to and won $250. at the Santa Anita Racetrack. We spent it at a little French restaurant with dark lighting and pink tablecloths. Again with the sauces :kissing_closed_eyes:! Yes, I realize I’m not adding anything to this thread but anecdotes and tales of naughtiness… Indulge me.

4 Likes

I know who I’m consulting when planning a trip to France.

yep!!! hit me up too… i’ve got mad recs

1 Like

Oh yeah… I remember that great report you did.

I miss L’Orangerie.

5 Likes

Had an excellent lunch at Belle Vie yesterday. Warm Goat Cheese salad (with beets, pickled onion, and walnuts), squash soup, and Croque Monsieur that was all to die. Split among three people, very large portions.

2 Likes

Belle Vie has always pleased us. From the owner/host to the pleasant (albeit a little tight) dining room, and of course the food.

We like Belle Vie so much that we always have it as a place to consider taking visitors from Asia. These folks are often not very enthusiastic when it comes to food over here. A meal at Belle Vie tends to change their minds. Thank you for the 411 on this place.

1 Like

La Vie in Rosemead, Cafe Bizou Sherman Oaks and Agoura Hills, Monsieur Marcel Farmer’s Market Grove have close to classic French offerings.

Belle Vie seems to be the reigning champ.

1 Like

Is that place still open? For whatever reason, I thought it had closed many yrs ago.

I’m hardly a Francophile. How French is it? I don’t know. But we’ve always felt the food to be very good.

The menu is on the smaller side. The majority of the items are always on the menu with seasonal and daily specials making up the rest.

1 Like

La Vie is still going strong, dishing out consistent and inexpensive French food.

1 Like

The Little Door and Little Next Door on 3rd Street in Beverly Grove.