Weekend Run-Down (October 2015) - what did you have?

Glad to hear more confirmation of excellence from u and Dommy. In the words of a f’ker this spot looks dope.

1 Like

Connie and Ted

6 Likes

do i see a few belons there? what a treat.

if ur still there, the ice cream is really tops

Fried chicken to start the weekend is always a good thing. That looks good!

Sharp eye there! Yes. Yes you do.

Lovely and sweet up front with the streak of minerality on the finish.

The other two are Kumamotos and Sweet Petites. Good but the complexity of the Belons were unrivaled.

Yum. Worth the extra $

Thanks @J_L_ for the Paella mention and thanks also to @Porthos for providing the link.

1 Like

I tried it. They have two options for “deep dish” style pizza, pan and stuffed. I had no clue and I’ve never been to Chicago, so I asked for what they recommended and they rec’d the pan.

The sauce and cheese are decent quality, I liked the pie I got OK but it’s pretty buttery. I guess the stuffed pizza is more like a real Chicago pizza, sauce on top and a little thinner, less buttery crust. I’d go for that next time. I have no idea if it’s anything like Chicago but I’d wager that the stuffed pizza would be a solid facsimile of what you’d find in Chicago. They definitely seem capable of making a good pie. What I got was tasty but just a little much for me, especially crust-wise.

Eater what’s thd dope chai own pie you’re teferncung ???

Thanks man.

Friday lunch: sapp coffee shop jade noodles

Friday dessert: salt & straw candy corn ice cream

Saturday Lunch: DTF XLB = eXtreme Lip Burn. Take a bao

7 Likes

Nice shots, PB.
What is the second to last picture of? Some sort of pan-fried dumpling?

1 Like

those are the ass up pork and shrimp potstickers

1 Like

Rance’s in OC. This forum can be super hard to follow unfortunately. Maybe it’s just the default settings??

Anyway, let me update and say it was tasty when it was hot and I was hungry. Ate a quarter of it, then it got cold and super gross, threw the rest away. IDK man if you’re keen to try it get the stuffed version and see if it’s passable Chicago pizza, but it’s just not my thing.

Thank for the info. I may check it out tomorrow, still haven’t made up my mind yet.

I am still a bit confused on which crust/style to order.

Lunch at Dough Doughs in Huntington Beach

Hamburger patty with gravy

Hawaiian patty with green onion, teri, and pineapple

1 Like

The way I understand it the “stuffed” is sauce on top, and still a deep dish pizza, so that sounds more like Chicago pizza to me, which as a caveat I must say I’ve only experienced in pictures and TV.

The “pan” has a thicker and more buttery crust, with probably more cheese. If you’re into really heavy meals and don’t mind too much cheese and butter, and you think “too much” is really “just enough,” go for the pan. If you want something closer to authentic Chicago, and maybe (hopefully) a better balance, go “stuffed.”

I expect I’ll probably go “Settebello” next time I want pizza.

Let me also add that Rance’s is pretty garlicky by default. I don’t mind it personally but it’s worth noting.

Man, Porkbelly for the win!

Love the Shanghai glutinous rice dumplings at DTF.

Been craving some Sapp Boat noodles myself…

1 Like

Sweet.
From dtf?
Is it new? I don’t recal dtf in its original incarnations (Taipei, Arcadia) serving pan fried.

Pot Stickers From DTF menu…

Not sure about the other locations but they’ve always had it at Glendale.