What is your choice of grub before and after an event at these venues?

We never eat before anything since it’s never late enough, but after finally getting out of the Greek Theatre’s parking lot the best consolation is Fred 62. Just completely ignore that eating too much when you should have hit the sack three hours ago is insanely wrong and get a great big burger, or something with gravy all over it. I generally avoid having any breakfasty stuff because that is too much reality, after having very probably waited half an hour for a table in a crowd that looks too young to be out past their bedtimes.

1 Like

Went to the Greek on Friday nite and we ended up @ Messhall. I hadn’t been there in a couple of years, but we decided to pop in due to the convenient location and easy parking. I had the fried chicken sandwich which was surprisingly good—moist and juicy with a nicely fried crust, brioche bun, red onions, pickles and some sort of honey aioli. The fries were really good when they first came out and were hot. Noisy & lively crowd—the bar was packed for happy hour (we sat in the dining room). Great tunes playing.

Last nite I was @ the Ace Hotel and we had dinner @ Wood Spoon before the show. The food was very good. My friend got the Feijoada, which was great (I used to have a neighbor from Brasil that would make his family’s version of Feijoada a couple times a year—took him days to make it. Wood Spoon’s version tasted similar). I went light and just got a grilled chicken skewer which was served with rice, beans, sautéed greens and plantains and enjoyed all of it.

The only problem is that they were slammed and a bit overwhelmed trying to keep up. They forgot our wine (even after reminding them twice), where extremely apologetic and offered to give us a desert to go to make up for the oversight (which we declined since we couldn’t take it into the venue). I’d love to return and check out the famous pot pie and their seafood bowl (which I wanted originally, but they were already sold out).

2 Likes

Thank you.

I got Messhall on my list for Happy Hour Oysters.

Been looking for a place that has a solid feijoada, I was pretty disappointed with Cafe Brasil’s feijoada on Venice.

They had a daily oyster menu (on our table) that looked pretty good–maybe 1/2 dz choices. If the bar wasn’t packed to capacity, I might have checked it out. I’m not sure if the happy hour oyster pricing applies to the dining room as well as the bar.

As far as the feijoada @ Wood Spoon—our server said that they only have it on Saturdays due to the lengthly preparation needed.

1 Like

Hollywood Bowl? Usually Take Bay Cities to go…or Musso
The Greek? Snap Coffee Shop
Wiltern? Beer Belly Or Park’s BBQ
Sunset Strip? Carney’s or Zankou
Staples/DTLA? Wood Spoon
Dodger game? Philippe, Ricky’s Fish Tacos, Little Jewel, Eastside Market or Howlin’ Rays
UCB? Zankou or Thai Town
Pantages? Tender Greens, Stella Rosa or Roscos

3 Likes

Drive Ins!!! I’ll have to add some nearby restaurants in these cities but I’ll be honest I have no idea about Simi Valley and Ontario (I know Ontario Mills lol)

^^^ Americana, Ontario Airport, Simi Valley

https://www.paramountdrivein.com

^^^ Paramount (pretty close to a lot of other cities in SE County

^^^City of Industry

I vaguely remember drive ins.

2 Likes

Love this!! To get to the Mission Tiki in Montclair you must pass through lots of deliciousness in the SGV!

https://missiontiki.com/map/

–Dommy!

1 Like

For Simi, there’s a few that I like.

Sushi Tanaka (no idea what they’re doing during COVID)
Green Acres BBQ (Santa Maria style)
Marie’s Cafe (quaint little banh mi place).

In a pinch there’s also an In N Out on the other side of the 118 and a Pho So 1 a couple exits away.

3 Likes

Upland German Deli has a really awesome apple strudel, spatzle and German potato salad.

983 W Foothill Blvd, Upland, CA 91786

Hilltop Jamaican in Pomona is right near Mission Tiki and they have really good oxtail, goat curry and jerk chicken along with the rice bean mixture and greens and I love the festival bread. The chicken curry patty is my favorite patty, somewhat spicy and super flavorful.

1061 E Holt Ave, Pomona, CA 91767

Carnitas Al Estilo Michoacán in Ontario has really nice carnitas and a really nice salsa verde to cut through the rich pork fat.

818 S Mountain Ave, Ontario, CA 91762

Mariscos Jalisco first brick n mortar location opened not too long ago and it is just as good as the truck. Definitely a welcome addition to the area.

753 E Holt Ave, Pomona, CA 91767

Kwon’s Restaurant is hardly a restaurant, but you can get really good fried rice and NY Style eggrolls here. Nothing fancy, but really good fried rice done right and huge portions. I grab catering trays of this fried rice and it is always gone.

1625 W Holt Ave, Pomona, CA 91768

El Rey in Chino is a prototypical taqueria with the regular offerings. They have a really amazing salsa and condiment bar complete with a bevy of salsas, pickled onions, ranchero beans, nopales, etc…all gratis. I love their pickled white onions with oregano to add to my carne asada burrito. The cabeza, carne asada, buche and chorizo are the meats to get along with a torta cubana and a bionicos. Make sure to get the avocado salsa and chips.

4547 Riverside Dr, Chino, CA 91710

Longo Seafood is being remodeled right now so I am not sure it

3 Likes