What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

uh, no. i don’t do that. i have hotline bling for those. (yes I used “threw shade” and “hotline bling” in the same week, on the same board. barf away).

you just called @J_L food pussy.

2 Likes

I’d love to see some real New Mexico cuisine here–some green chile stew, particularly. John Sedlar had a place a few years ago, but the closest I’ve found is in Phoenix (!), Richardson’s Cuisine of New Mexico.

Secondly, I’d love to have an antipasto bar to equal the one at Trattoria Del Arte in New York. Nothing I’ve found here even comes close.

I’m still looking for great Indian food. In London, or particularly Birmingham, when you look for an Indian restaurant, you have to specify the region. I love the Balti places.

And Malaysian food in Australia is the best.

And I’ll echo the interest in genuine German food too.

On another plane, we don’t have anything remotely resembling Cincinnati chili, except what I make at home.

Gotta stop, I’ve made myself hungry.

1 Like

How is New Mexico green chile stew different from chile verde? Lots of places serve great chile verde.

In New Mexico, any bar you walk into will have a pot of green chile stew on the stove, and it’s almost always great. Chile Verde here is quite meat-centric, whereas the meat is just an added ingredient in the real stew.

And that radius will vary depending on what’s at the edge.

I’ll happily haul my ass to San Diego in part to stop at Bluefin for whatever fish taco is fresh that day.

But I’m having to plan a whole day this week where I’m gonna schlep (and I DO mean schlep) over to the west side, just so I can finally try the prime rib sandwich at Gjusta. I figure I’ll catch a movie, wander the beach and make a day of it, just so I feel like I’ve gotten my traffic’s worth. (Incidentally, is the chocolate cake at Gjusta worth it? Anyone?)

Hollywood Pies is great, but I’m planning to try Rance’s next month, and if they’re just as good AND they have actual service, that would make a drive to the OC worth it rather than the murderous crawl to Pico

@TonyC …I know a guy who drove from Palmdale to the newly opened Golden Corral in Rowland Heights at the time. Golden Corral I mind you. Then proceeded to wait in an hour long line that stretched into the parking lot for…wait for it…Golden Corral.

Dat chocolate wonderfall lyfe though.

1 Like

Jägerhaus in Anaheim, better than going to Germany for most purposes.

Hehehe let the one-upsmanship begin…

LAX to Haneda (Tokyo), just for fruit at Semibikiya. True story.

1 Like

Yes, I did.

Kidding, @J_L :laughing:

Yeah, there’s no way I can one-up that. Lol.

Jaegerhaus is horrible and has little to do with German food if the last 30-40 years.

while its not the same, i dont find chili johns all that far off from cincy chili.

what in the blue fuck are you talking about ?

You want like 3 Michelin star German shit in LA? Lmao

Go take a trip to Germany. Guarantee you Bratwurst, Schnitzel and Sauerkraut are still served there.

I don’t need to take trip to Germany as I am German and have lived there for the majority of my life and you have obviously no fucking clue what you are talking about (and no, I don’t speak about high-end stuff but what Germans are eating day to day

1 Like

The New Mexico Green Chile? Or is that too obvious.

1 Like

“what in the blue fuck are you talking about ?
You want like 3 Michelin star German shit in LA? Lmao”

“Good you offered no evidence or critique in a thoughtful manner”

To be fair, neither did you.

@honkman I’m curious what you think of this German’s chef’s rec for German grub in LA? A German Chef Picks His 5 Favorite German Eateries in Los Angeles - LA Weekly

Remember that although Singapore is 5-6M, the govt opened the flood gates to China to bring in intellectual and birth rate talent. So the population has nearly doubled since the 90s. So in actuality, the #s of “real” Singaporeans is far less than the current population figures. Anyhow, standard of living, cleanliness and safety/security are impossible to replicate overseas in the eyes of most Singaporeans - why leave?

Malaysians go to Singapore. It is everything they wish Malaysia was except for the lack of elbow space.

Hope this never comes to pass.

Yes, there are similarities. For one, it’s served on spaghetti if you ask. But it doesn’t have the Cincy-style seasonings, the cinnamon and chocolate that are part of the Greek recipe. Still, I stop there now and then and it’s okay. Nice people too. There actually was a Skyline Chili in Van Nuys for a while a few years ago, but it failed. It didn’t fail me, but it failed.