What would you like to see food wise that does not exist in L.A?

algeria if you want to be technical about it.

French Polynesia… God I miss the poisson cru there…

1 Like

how about a fragel? or did you never get into them in ann arbor?

i love pierogis. the texture alone makes it an ideal comfort food. then you have the savory filling , the sweetness of the sauteed onion, the acidity of the sour cream, the fat from being sauteed in butter and just a touch of pepper make a plate of pierogis sauteed in butter with grilled onion, sour cream a wondrous thing.

1 Like

next time you go, bring back some stadium mustard!!!

Malasadas like Leonards in Waikiki. Never had anything like that and would gain 10lbs if I lived within a 30 minute drive.

3 Likes

Never had a good version while I was in Bora Bora - then again most places there were overpriced tourist traps.

Where did you have it… Papeete?

Yes, night market by he docks at Papeete. Also our guide on Bora Bora made some for us from fresh reef fish, which was phenomenal.

not a malasada, but have you tried ponchiks? i found them very, very similar. and yes I’ve been to Leonards.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/papillon-international-bakery-north-hollywood

Never heard of a Armenian donut before but that sure does look very similar. I’m not in that area much but I’ll definitely give it a try. Nutella ponchik is right up my alley. Thanks

There are several locations, I just linked to the first one that popped up in google results. I’ve only been to the Hollywood location, and the Nutella ponchik is indeed delicious.

Like a malasada, you must eat it immediately. It’s not the same dish 10 minutes later.

Slices of sicilian pizza. I don’t want the big 2 inch doughy pieces of lead but a beautiful well balanced thicker version of a NY stle pizza. I always wait for a new pie to get the middle piece.

Back in the day we’d go to VI Pizza in Queens. They still have the best sicilian I’ve ever had but haven’t come across any in SoCal.

Was inspired by this post.

there’s a Khingali place, probably armenian owned but a very Georgian dumpling

http://www.tkfrestaurant.com/

1 Like

a friend from italy made his hometown (pesaro) version of pizza with chopped boiled egg and…mayo.

it wasn’t anywhere near being as disgusting as i originally expected. think open face egg salad sandwich with too much mayo. anyway, friend says you can’t find this version of pizza more than a kilometer outside the city limits. it wouldn’t necessarily draw business from europane, but i could see it growing on some folks.

1 Like

@Nemroz: Thank you!!!

… and yelp says Ceppo is CLOSED. Dammit!

from my recent trip to NYC…

Prince St Pizza - so legit.

8 Likes

You had to post this right before lunch? That is the sexiest looking thing I’ve seen online in weeks.

2 Likes

Hmm, who knew NYC had good pizza? :wink:

2 Likes

I did my due diligence and hit up ~6 pizza joints at various price points. Will report back to the NYC thread after all pictures get uploaded and consolidated. Prince St was the winner for me.

3 Likes

That looks really good! You can get a shitty version of that at Petrillo’s, a favorite of the locals in the San Gabriel Valley