What's cookin'?

Crabbie is going to be in the pot today . Dungeness season is open . Great wine and bread . It will be the first of the year . I’m grateful it’s not the train wreck of last year . Cheers .

1 Like

That is VERY exciting! Thanks for letting us know.

2 Likes

Poached Squid with Light Soy Sauce and Scallion pieces

4 Likes

Early Thanksgiving for me . Surf and turf . Costco prime New York . Cooked on CI skillet simply . Crabby is ready to go into the pot , steamed 17 min then on ice . First Dungy of the year . Crack and eat . Romaine salad with bread and wine . .

5 Likes

[quote=“MaladyNelson, post:279, topic:3429”]
Rice Man
[/quote]It’s time for me to explore rice. This board has made me realize, it is not just a yummy receptacle for absorbing gravy or sauce. I thought, if I stock a short, a long and a basmati, and they were organic, then that was it. But I guess not. There are actually good ones and bad ones.

So, for cooking - what is everybodies’ favorite short grain, long grain, basmati, sticky, etc.(doesn’t have to be organic)? Please don’t make me start a thread about it… unless of course, you think this subject will sweep FTC nation.

Both long- and short-grain Lundberg organic brown rice have great flavor. I get the latter in big bags from Costco.

My favorite white rice is Originario, an Italian type that so far as I can find is no longer distributed in the US. It wasn’t even all that easy to find in Rome when we spent a month there last year. It was the first white rice I had with the distinct rice flavor I knew from better brown rices.

1 Like

For Japanese I like Koshihikari white or semi polished. I like the koda farms Kokuho Rose (med grain) more for rice bowls or if I’m doing risotto (I find a lot of Italian rice in markets just old, but if I can get good vialone nano I go for that). Love Jasmine rice but it HAS to be not so old because the aroma fades- Indian Harvest has some good specialty rice. Carolina Gold (heirloom rice from the south- yum)

2 Likes

[quote=“robert, post:286, topic:3429”]
Both long- and short-grain Lundberg organic brown rice
[/quote]Oh cool. I actually use Lundberg. Just not the brown. When my mom went hippie all she served was brown :unamused:. I rarely eat it now. Quinoa and bugler are my fiber friends. Thanks!

Good stuff!!

So, how’s everyone’s Thxxxxxxgiving prep going?

On a flight last week, fate handed me an issue of Oprah magazine in the seat-back pocket in front of me. I skimmed and found that there were actually a lot of really good sounding recipes for Thanksgiving. Turns out they’re from peeps like Bourdain and Curtis Stone, etc. So I decided to make life easy and basically just use these recipes for most of my sides.

Gonna do the Broccolini Casserole, Herb and Apple Bread Pudding, Candied Bacon Sweet Potatoes from this link. Among a couple other things prolly.

I’ve never made all the dishes here but the Turkey Loco, stuffed chilies, cranberries and sweet potatoes are all crazy good. (I’m a recipe follower!)

http://www.myrecipes.com/menu/spicy-thanksgiving

2 Likes

We’re not hosting this year so all I’m making is my usual sweet potatoes with onion, bacon, nam pla, and hot pepper.

4 Likes

New plan. I’m copying you.

To take your mind off Thanksgiving prep, I’m including here what I’ve recently started “cooking” for my old Airedale Terrier. The vet wants her to have more fiber so I’m doing rice with canned beans, carrots and yams. She’s always been a great eater and she’s really scarfing this down. Now back to your regular programming.

2 Likes

Warm salad of farro, pork shoulder confited in goose fat, pomegrante, and black pepper.

5 Likes

That looks fantastic! Is the pork those little ‘threads’ or is it hiding?

The pork fell apart into threads, yes.

This sounds great. Does this derive from something or is it a robert original?

Not sure if it’s at all similar to your dish, but a quick search found these, which sound pretty dang good. Sweet Potato and Corn Fritters With Thai Dipping Sauce - Honey Creek Kitchen

I think it started out as my attempt to make something like an African dish I read about in a short story or travel article or something. I think the dish was something like yam fufu with a dried fish stew. From there it evolved in an Italian direction, I just render the chopped bacon, sauté the onions and hot pepper, add chicken stock and nam pla, simmer Diane sweet potatoes until they’re soft, and mash them up.

2 Likes

I got a new to me grill and have been putting it to work. I am rusty at charcoal.

Last night was my first time grilling lobster and ribeye cap on all new (to me) equipment. Turned out pretty decent given all of that.

8 Likes