What's the joint that has closed that you miss even dearly now and it's possible that the chef or another version of the restaurant has resurfaced somewhere?

We miss the Palate as well; we felt the food was thoughtfully prepared and tasty, and some effort was made to help it along with wines. We ate there probably half a dozen times, and always found something particularly good.

The Chatam in Westwood. Not a week goes by that I don’t want a Chatam sandwich, or their Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes.

Did not know they were reopening. Thanks

Not a new Mezze but another branch of Wexler’s Deli soon in Santa Monica on Santa Monica Blvd across from the Main Branch Library

I wanna know what happened to the Pho Minh guy.

2 Likes

those fucking broad noodles were dope.

I remember there was a brief Times article on the guy a few year back.

south el monte was it ???

does anyone happen to know if the great chef Katsu Michite (sp???) has resurfaced anywhere ???

He had a Katsu on Hillhurst in addition to Katsu 3rd where I first started trying out sushi (great great great spot) and then Katsu in Studio City which begat Tama Sushi for some time.

anyone ???

thanks fuckers !!! :slight_smile:

im excited for that – wild about the sturgeon!

Hi kevin,

Thanks for that nice memory. When I was young, my father used to take me to Katsu on Hillhurst and to Matsuhisa. I haven’t thought about Katsu in a long time. It really was good.

I just remembered a wonderful tempura bar that closed in Little Tokyo in what was once the New Otani Hotel, but became the Kyoto Grand. The bar as a whole was called Thousand Cranes, I think, sushi on one side and the incredible tempura on the other. Not sure, but the sushi seemed just ok; not so the tempura, which was incredibly light, interesting and served in the most beautiful ways: all sorts of veggies, with a few proteins thrown in by the chef: Hiroyuki Shiono, unassuming in manner, rather shy, but masterful not only in the technique for each dish, but in the arrangement and succession of dishes. Heavier and lighter foods, colors, saltiness, all in such a delicate and interesting progression! We had some wonderful birthdays and anniversaries at that place. Does anyone know if this wonderful chef is working elsewhere now?

1 Like

LONG ago, at least 15 years ago
two sisters had a place that I’m tempted to remember being called “The Kitchen” at Mr. T’s Bowl on Figueroa in Highland Park that was weekend breakfasts only
but amazing breakfasts. They simply vanished, and much wailing and weeping was heard/written about on
what’s that old food site’s name again? You know, the one everybody came here from
?

1 Like

OMG! I forgot about them! I lived in Mt. Washington for 16yrs and we used to go there (I seem to remember that they were open in the evenings as well). That’s when they also had bands playing @ Mr. T’s
ahhhh the good 'ol days in early gentrification

Fuccccccckkkkkkkkk !!!

Here’s a beyond weepy eyed kevin who never fucked tried the joint.

Was it in a verging on the defunct bowling alley ??? Circa 01 to 02 makes sense in Mr Ts Bowl in Highland Park, roughly a decade before Donut Fiend or Donut Snob showed up ???

It was called

The GUTTER CAFE

yeah—it was a run down old school bowling alley w/ a bar (maybe just beer?) and the girls who took over the food stand and hipsterized it before the hipsters. It may have even been the late 90’s (fkn memory isn’t as good as it used to be :grin: )

The Gutter Cafe.

In fucking Mr Ts Bowl.

Btw when am I coming over for fucking gin starlight up and kosher charcuterie ???

:slight_smile:

hahaha. dunno. I still don’t have either items here. Although----Mr. Marcel (in the Farmers market @ 3rd/fairfax) has very good bresaola.

Shit. Never knew that. Or I can pick some
Up
From the euro cafe.

You’re probably right, LAgirl
those were the days when I was doing nightshift, so the only time I could go was on weekend mornings
and they were always packed.

And Kevin–yup, it was “The Gutter Cafe”.

Antica Pizzeria of MDR! miss it badly but happily, Mario Vollera has opened South End Which has as good pizza as there is in LA and a very cool if somewhat cozy space!

2 Likes

Perfect, right after i work out at the Y i can stuff a pastrami sandwich in my face!