Where do you get your fried fish from?

interested in both southern fried (think Mel’s fish) and British style(battered Old Ye Kings head). Btw, I stopped going to Mels, got bad fish and shrimp once. Haven’t gone back.

1 Like

been pretty happy with the southern style catfish @ Les Sisters in Chatsworth. I prefer it over Little Jewel, for instance.

People seem pretty happy with Batterfish and Hot Red Bus for British style.

last catfish was at Stevie’s on Pico. Mel’s I like on Mondays when I can get their crab chowder

Kiwi style down at Tangaroa Fish Market in Culver City.

hot red bus in alhambra is good if you don’t mind eating swai.

Hot Red Bus has cod.
http://hotredbus.com/menu

1 Like

The fish and chips at The Morrison are surprisingly good.

Cod, well fried (not too greasy) and, they have malt vinegar for dipping. (Can you guess? British style : )

Hesitate to give the price and portion info as that place is already busy enough!

http://hookdfishgrill.com/ in Northridge.

are you open to fish in the style of Nayarit and Sinaloa?

if so, i would go to Sergio at Mariscos Chente on centinela in mar vista and order
MOJARRA FRITA (sp?)
warning: unless you request differently, the whole fried fish will be on the platter including the head

1 Like

Portsmouth, Whittier
The Original Fish Company, Los Alamitos
(Slightly out of range) Point Loma Seafood, San Diego

2 Likes

Anything else here you want to recommend? Been eyefucking it on yelp for months.

+1 for BatterFish

2 Likes

I’m not a big fish eater so I usually go for the fried shrimp. They used to have fried scallops too, but I think they stopped offering them. My husband likes the grilled fish items.

Their Cole slaw isn’t your typical creamy kind - it’s more of a sweet and sour slaw. I wish they would serve a traditional version too.

1 Like

Really? I’ve never been but I think I’d much rather drive up the street to the OG spot.

1 Like

ok, so I saw this place on Yelp and it had amazing reviews. But what the fuck man, aren’t those generic restaurant depot triangle fish sticks?

That second pic looks great though…

How do you know it’s not good if you’ve never been? :wink:

My issue with H Salt is that they use frozen fish. As in, they dip the frozen fish pieces into the batter and fry them (I’ve seen them get the fish from the freezer and dip it). We’ve actually gotten fish from them that was still cold in the center (more than once, unfortunately). Their clams and calamari are premade frozen ones. They don’t make those in house.

I still go to H Salt for the fried clam strips and hush puppies, but for fish and shrimp, we prefer Hook’d. It’s much better quality.

I tried a “basket of catfish nuggets” at California Fish Grill, and they were very good. Light batter, not oily, and big, fat nuggets of fish cooked properly.

It’s in the Fox Hills Mall parking lot, part of the new building that includes a Starbucks and Trader Joes. It was pretty busy and the food people were eating looked pretty good.

Apparently it’s an upper-scale fast food chain.

California Fish Grill
6150 Slauson Ave,
Culver City, CA 90230

1 Like

I’ve been to the one in Gardena a couple times and enjoyed it. Actually wish we had one in the SFV.

Their El Segundo location sucked big time. Tried it only once about two to three years ago. “No respect for ingredients” is what stuck with me. The place stunk of seafood past its prime. The people behind the counter were pretty rude or just didn’t give a heck.

I think the majority of their seafood is sourced from farms and swai was all over the menu. Just my opinion, but when I see swai listed, my expectations drop significantly. Even still, the food was very disappointing.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe because this location is new they are putting their best face on. It’s good now, though! :slight_smile: