Where do you get your holiday tamales?

Try la Adelita in pico-Union
https://www.laadelitafoodco.com/

1 Like

La Taco article today. A bunch of places mentioned on the thread are included.
https://www.lataco.com/where-to-find-good-tamales-for-christmas/

4 Likes

Angry Egret Dinette
Chichén Itzá
La Mascota Bakery
Los Cinco Puntos
Me Gusta Gourmet Tamales
Mi Ranchito Veracruz
Poncho’s Tlayudas
Sabores Oaxaqueños
Tamales Elena y Antojitos

5 Likes

If I don’t’ want to venture far from Silver Lake, is Lupita’s going to be my best option? We’ve been getting tamales from there for the past several years and think it’s quite good but just wondering if there are better options close by. Tried Alberto’s tamales in Echo Park and thought it was far inferior to Lupitas.

I think we are the only 2 FTCers who like Lupitas. The breakfast spot in Cypress Park?

1 Like

which one is closet to mid-city?

1 Like

Probably Chichen Itza. Take Adams, Jefferson, or Expo.

Sabores is in Ktown off of 8th and Irolo parking can be a challenge but there is a Jon’s across the street to park really quick

I have a little more specific request. I am looking for a pork Chile Verde tamale. Every place I seem to go does their pork with Salsa Rojo, which I’m not quite a fan of. I’ve been spoiled by mi Suegra’s Chile Verde over the years and what I prefer.

Me Gusta does the pork in green or red:

1 Like

Funny, I just had one yesterday from Guelaguetza (catering) at an office holiday party. Was great.

1 Like

Me Gusta also makes runs to various Farmer’s Markets. I know they’re at Cerritos on Saturdays.

2 Likes

Tamales Liliana’s has a pork verde tamale. Christmas time lines are insane.

2 Likes

Funny, it’s not on their menu. Was it mole wrapped in banana leaf or a northern Mexican corn husk tamale? They offer both this time of year

Husk!

1 Like

And even at the best of times, that lot is insane. The layout - and compact size - makes it tricky and difficult to navigate. Still, I’ve done so for their tamales.

1 Like

Gish Bac - Washington Blvd, Arlington Heights

Tamal de Mole - Chicken Mole Stuffed Tamale Wrapped in Banana Leaves

We didn’t get Gish Bac tamales for Christmas, as our son had already ordered the tamales from where I did not know. But! We still wanted to try Gish Bac’s and were craving a piping hot bowl of Barbacoa Roja de Chivo, so that’s what we did pre-Christmas - perfect for warming those cold & rainy cockles.

I hesitate to critique the tamales before trying again because these were the last two. Or it could simply be that the things to stick to at Gish Bac are stews and moles. The tamales were a little dry inside & out and if you don’t like much filling they’re for you. We did like the mole and loved the banana leaf flavor that seeped into the masa dough. The two salsa verdes are tasty - the dark green will blow your mouth-out. Will try the tamales again and report back.

Side note: Across the street there was a long line of people standing in the rain to get their holiday carbs from Pacific French Bakery. That’s love. :heart:

Costco Red Chicken Cheese Tamale

Living in Whittier I figured said son ordered the Christmas tamales from someplace a little more… Mexican. Guess what? They were pretty darn tasty - moist dough, good amount of tasty filling and a slight kick.

‘Til next year!

9 Likes

I feel like I shouldn’t report on these tamales because I don’t have the contact info for the lady who makes them. They were made by a friend-of-a-friend who took my order and dropped them off. But! They were so good I need to share! :blush:

Salvadoran Tamal w/Chicken (cooked in light tomato sauce), Potato, Loroco Flowers, Red Bell Pepper, Green Bean & wrapped in Banana Leaf

With these the masa dough is cooked prior to stuffing, wrapping & steaming giving the final product a custardy texture. So good! :hearts::blush::hearts:

Came w/a bag of Curtido (pickled cabbage slaw)

Happy Holidays!

7 Likes

Yum!

1 Like