Where do you get your holiday tamales?

How long will the banuelos hold?

I’m not sure. They should be good for at least a couple of days.

1 Like

We quite enjoyed Tamales Mi Molito. The pollo verde was a favorite…a nice punch while surrounded by fluffy, light, and well-seasoned masa. The chowpups preferred the pork in red sauce.
The tamal was also delicious the morning after pan-seared with a fried egg on top. It was nice to have a textural contrast.

6 Likes

Orsa + Winston/ Bar Ama had some wonderful, fusion-y tamales.

• Diavola—pepperoni, coppa, speck, prosciutto, tomato & buffalo mozzarella (imagine the Bay Cities’ Godmother getting all mixed up with Breaking Bad’s Don Hector Salamanca)
• Pork kakuni with soy & ginger (seemed the most typical, like a pork tamale with a mild Asian sauce)
• Tsukune chicken & shiso (loved it, very unusual)

Excellent side of tomatillo salsa!

9 Likes

Who doesn’t wake up with a craving for tamales for breakfast?

Went to Pacoima to Me Gusta for tamales.

Got one beef red sauce, pork w green and one cheese and chile.

These things are pretty damn big.

The masa is SUPER light. Really terrific. Perfect fillings to masa ratio. They were slightly thick in a few small spots, but the masa is so light it’s no biggie.

Sorry, my photos suck. Really needed a sharp knife to get a clean cross section for a photo. And the iPhone 13 with its multiple camera lenses doesn’t do great closeups (well, if it does I haven’t figured it out yet).

The cheese was loaded. Cheese was stretchy in parts.

Yeah, I’d go here again, and not just because it’s geographically convenient.

7 Likes

They sell at them at the Brentwood FM’s (and maybe other ones?). Cheaper at the factory, but maybe the FMs might be more convenient. They freeze really well, too (just had one yesterday!).

3 Likes

I split time in Sherman Oaks, so it was a 12 minute drive :wink:

Great idea to freeze!

La Habra Tamale Festival is back next weekend.

5 Likes

Especially when the leftovers come with a fried egg on top.

4 Likes

Updated on Nov 29 to include new entries.

4 Likes

I prefer La Mascota in Boyle Heights.

5 Likes

I’m thinking about trying Gish Bac’s.

1 Like

Went there just about a month ago… still the bomb.

2 Likes

Where can I get the best masa in LA? Ditroit just tripled their price to $3/lb as of this week. Tried reaching out to Kernel of Truth but haven’t heard back from them.

I had them for Thanksgiving Day lunch, damn tasty and masa so fluffy.

1 Like

Give Sara’s Market in El Sereno a call. She regularlly carries Kernel of Truth masa including the blue corn one (I believe it’s in a large bag. Cookbook in HP also carries it, but doesn’t keep a large supply.

If you want to try your hand at making it on your own (because a good Tamalada requires a considerable amount). You can get Masienda flour from book Cookbook and Surfas.

–Dommy!

4 Likes

Tamales Mi Mimolita. Pick up at a house near the 10 freeway in El Monte. I can’t eat any other tamales. They’re so moist and fluffy and just the right amount of masa to filling.

Tamales Mimolito

2 Likes

I ordered from here last year and we quite enjoyed them!

Tamales house on reseda.
Odd hours
7622 Reseda Blvd, Reseda, CA 91335. Also sweet ones w walnuts,

1 Like