Where to buy beef ribs?

They’re just so beautiful. tearing up

Commerce is definitely biz center.

damn those ribs look amazing!

Picked up some incredibly meaty looking ribs at Whole Foods just now. Price was $8.99/lb not the $5.99 I’d been told, and the case was almost empty at 6PM on the first they they hit them in. Pics when I cook them, probably in 2 days… when my wife won’t be home for dinner.

Note to self: at Costco’s price I could toss half their package and still be ahead. MUST get to Costco Biz!!!

5 hour’s at 235° then under the broiler briefly with some added BBQ sauce. Best I’ve made yet, but I have to say that, even after all this trouble finding them, their taste is fattier than I’m comfortable with. I need to go back to Claim Jumoer for a re-try and see if they’re different. Oh, well.

2 Likes

Raining on Sunday so I decided to BBQ.

10 Likes

That’s a fine smoke ring.

3 Likes

5 Likes

The big short ribs from Gelson’s posted above are on sale right now for $8.99/lb.

1 Like

I wonder if they have those unsliced in the back

Greg & Jim’s Meat Market in Whittier.

As seen @ Vons, Mason/Devonshire. First time I’ve seen this pack.

1 Like

those won’t have a lot of meat on them.

As I’ve said above, I’ve tried that type before but have always found them tough and grissely… They’re cheaper but have much less meat and it’s mostly BETWEEN the bones. I may try again and experiment with the very long/low/slow method I’ve been trying on LONG short ribs. I may not have ever had enough meat there to know for sure, but that type didn’t have the ‘fatty’ quality that bothered my system with my recent tries with short ribs.

Whole Foods is having a sale on their mobile app. Buy $25 worth of meat and get $5 off. The beef ribs are $8.99/lb so depending on how many lbs you buy you’ll save some coin. Better if you take your wife/GF/husband and you both download the app. You can pick out the best beef ribs with the most meat like this.

4 Likes

Stopped by restaurant depot today. The fabled short ribs are sold in a 3 pack. Approx $5-$6/lb, 25-35 pound total weight.

I passed because I’m not ready to commit to $150 worth of short rib. Yet.

2 Likes

I found a reference to GRILLING short ribs on another board and thought it would be appropriate to interject here. Grilling is how I used prepare the ribs I’d get (the ones where the meat is in between the bones). I guess I just assumed that the amount of fat on the meat on the short rib bones required low and slow cooking. Brain fart I guess. I’m gonna grill the next batch and see if that changes the ‘fattiness’ issue I had with low and slow.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the-best-inexpensive-steak-for-the-grill-part-3.htmli

2 Likes

Great article. As it says the key is cutting the meat across the grain. That’s why Kalbi (flanken cut) work so well. One of the house favorites for a quick grill night at our house is the marinated flanken ribs at Stater’s.

You will still want to cook long, low, and slow (braise, BBQ, etc.) for eating them whole, but I love them either way.

after this article came out, i tried grilling short ribs soon after. it was only…o.k.
it’s probable it was my poor technique/selection/whathaveyou. but it just
didn’t work out, texture or flavour wise.

i’ve been meaning to make another attempt some day.

Growing up in Argentina, I ate a lot of grilled short ribs. It’s very good and stays juicy even if you cook it beyond med rare, so it’s a very forgiving cut of meat. I still prefer a well marbled rib eye for a steak, but would never turn down a nicely grilled short rib, especially with some chimichurri sauce.

Having said that, a smoked short rib is also nom nom nom.

Here’s one of my grill sessions

4 Likes