Whittier/La Mirada/La Habra/Brea - Need new neighborhood suggestions

Hi @TheCookie,

Roughly how many people is this for? Wondering how big the dining room needs to be.

1 Like

If you’re looking at Quiet Cannon, Monterey Park is pretty close and most Cantonese / Dim Sum places could fill all your banquet size needs. (if you are looking for a big group of people)

1 Like

Hi @attran99, @Chowseeker1999, @Hungrydrunk -

It is for a group of 50+. Something good for family members of all ages, comfortable for the grands, not too nightclubby. A large room in a restaurant or event space would work, but not a generic looking hall like Quiet Canyon. Here’s the kicker - son wants vegetarian and not too much dairy. And god bless him, he doesn’t want us spending too much money.

We’ll take a look at your suggestions. I sooo appreciate the input!

1 Like

This is so cool of you to put together @attran99! Thanks!

1 Like

Wait? Is Bizarra Capital (Whittier) what happened to the now closed Colonia Tacos (Whittier)? I wanted to go then poof they were gone.

Hi @TheCookie,

No, but it’s the same chef-owner. Different restaurant.

1 Like

As @Chowseeker1999 indicated, Bizarra Capital and Colonia are part of the same restaurant group with the same chef. But the casual taco joint close to Pico Rivera closed late last year. Bizarra Capital remains alive and well. I adore their appetizers and the drinks.

2 Likes

Yeah. Sad to see Colonia Tacos go. But Colonia Publica is more than just Mexican Fideos. They have some good stuff on their menu, too.

1 Like

Hi All,

Okay, so they only closed a location? I must admit to asking for myself. It won’t work for this crowd. But I adore guisado (stewed meat) tacos and had hoped to check out Colonia. We’ll keep Bizarra and Colonia Publica on our radar!

Thanks!

1 Like

Mission Square or Ravello, both in Whittier.

1 Like

Oh nice. They both seem to have good space.

I had takeout from Ravello - Grilled Lemon Garlic Chicken - not impressed. But we’re talking vegetarian. I’m sure they could do some good crostini, bruschetta, pastas, pizza, salads.

Thanks!

That would be me. But the fuddy-duddies are starting to irritate me.

1 Like

I hit both Crooked Gaff and The Nixon last night. The Nixon has a back bar and a private party room that opens up to a patio. There were some folks hosting a birthday party in it and I saw a buffet set-up. We only had dessert and drinks there, and I was pretty impressed…for $12, my bananas Fosters-inspired dish was enrobed in cotton candy, doused with rum, and set on fire. The presentation alone was pretty cool. They do a few different tableside preparations for salads and after dinner drinks.

2 Likes

Problem solved.

2 Likes

Oh nice! Very promising.

Hilarious

1 Like

Just went to the new Moros location for lunch. I really love this place and haven’t been in a while. Great service.
$11 for a huge plate of excellent lechon asado.
Plantains had great caramelized edges and soft gooey inside.
Great flavor to the rice and beans.
Huge pile of lechon on top of some yucca.
I am addicted to the habanero and onion hot condiment.
They also make nice agua frescas that change daily.

I’d go here more often but my kids don’t love the place. I like Moros more than Bella Cuba though both are great.

2 Likes

Went to the Rusty Monk for Mother’s Day (when the Bottle Room was closed) and thought it was quite tasty (although not at the level of the Bottle Room)…

1 Like

I really enjoy Moro’s. Although, I do miss the lunch buffet they used to have at the smaller location…it was a convenient way to try more of the menu. I’ve been meaning to go back to try the paella.
@paranoidgarliclover What did you have at the Rusty Monk? I’ve only ever stopped there for dessert…and when I mean dessert, I mean an adult root beer float with the boozy root beer. I’m a sucker for that combo.

They have brunch on the weekends where you can try everything but it’s a little more expensive. I liked that option as well.

1 Like